i got a 2:2 for my degree classification :( Watch

This discussion is closed.
Vallito
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, maybe it is late for me to drop my 2 cents into this but I would do it anyway. I am due to graduate with a 2:2 this year unless I achieve 65% in all my modules. Knowing myself, I have never been much of an academic person. I remember when we started university I use to stay up and study or spend 6 hours in the library and I was miserable. My friends still do this but all of them have limited their social life to the maximum in order to achieve a lower 2:1 degree. Believe me when I tell you this that employers will not care in 6 months, even 3. Yes, if you would like to aim at the top of the ladder you would need a 1st or a 2:1 but even then you might not be as successful as you'd like. Maybe people think that they will graduate with a 2:1 and someone will magically appear and offer them a CEO position and a starting salary of 5k a month. Believe me a lot of people with a 2:1 classification will find themselves in your position. Many graduate schemes that want a 2:1 degree don't accept the majority of people and only the best of the best make it. Employers these days talk about how important the grade is or your past experience, making it impossible for students to work towards a 2:1 in a top university whilst maintaining a part-time job as a prestigious organisation - it is just not going to happen. Focus on what you want to do and don't do what I normally do to myself - DON'T UNDERESTIMATE YOURSELF! Don't lower your expectations and accept jobs with a minimum wage just because you feel like you have failed. There are plenty of people out there that would be more than happy for you to work for them and are more than willing to pay high for that! With that being said consider expanding your CV. Luckily I have been able to do projects and work-placements ever since I was about 12 so my CV is about 2 pages long and I have to cut things out. Even if you have worked for 1-2 months write that in. Emphasise on how you've grown and what you've achieved rather than why you left. Apply to suitable and realistic positions, as I said know your worth - don't go applying for a cleaners positions. It might take you months to find a placement/job or weeks it all depends on your personality, skills and mindset!
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Don't worry. My brother in law got a 2:2 and went on to a successful career as an automotive logistics manager.

When I say automotive logistics manager, I mean he walked around Tesco car park with a sign reading "parking space here".
This made me laugh :rofl:
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Carol Vorderman got a 3rd !!!

she has gone on to be a household name.
Armin40uk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I actually had a same situation in my BSC due to caring for my disable partner and all those awful life experience during my master degree. I lost hope if I can ever get a job after all these years of expensive studying , not sure what shall I do. Suppose I am getting more depress than ever and lost my confidence. Employers should need judge a book by its cover, what about luck , I mean my friend read one chapter of the module and he got A star in exam and I studied all chapters except those other chapters so I got pass grade.Not sure is it really fair to judge a book by its cover or not
SSong
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know how you feel... I was the same when it comes to essays but I also have the 2:2 I'm curious about how you're doing at this point. it was a year ago you wrote this. please update!
SSong
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tgwktm)
thing is i can't even get a part time job atm. i spend all my time researching jobs, writing applications, i'm so tired and drained and i'm getting sick of it. what makes it worse, is my friends are posting pictures of them celebrating their 1st class degree and i know that they were the type of people in some cases that would leave a essay to 2 days before the deadline, and who got better results than me, who organised my time and planned and wrote essays weeks in advance.
I know people on here can't really say much to help, but it helps just saying this. i guess i'll have to tell someone in person eventually
I know how you feel... I was the same when it comes to essays but I also have the 2:2 I'm curious about how you're doing at this point. it was a year ago you wrote this. please update!
SSong
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thing is i can't even get a part time job atm. i spend all my time researching jobs, writing applications, i'm so tired and drained and i'm getting sick of it. what makes it worse, is my friends are posting pictures of them celebrating their 1st class degree and i know that they were the type of people in some cases that would leave a essay to 2 days before the deadline, and who got better results than me, who organised my time and planned and wrote essays weeks in advance.
I know people on here can't really say much to help, but it helps just saying this. i guess i'll have to tell someone in person eventually
Lorilo1398
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think it's amazing you actually finished your degree honestly, with crime and pregnancy statistics for youths on the rise ... aswell as the increasing pressures on current students and mental health statistics especially you did amazing. I'm 2 years into a 4 year degree and at the minute graduating seems a distant dream. Honestly just graduating I would be so proud, you achieved something certain people can only dream of. I'm currently getting 1st's/2:1's but I know anything can change and uni is hard work just be grateful you're done and you can look towards your future
Mr.Spock
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I got my final results through yesterday, and found that i'll be graduating with a 2:2 degree. I feel awful, i read an article which said something like 'people who achieve a 2:2 were probably capable of a 2:1 but didn't put the effort in'. I was on track for a 2:1 I did everything a student who wanted a good degree would do. I feel confused cause I put so much effort into my exams and my coursework and my dissertation (which i am also disappointed with cause it only got 58%). I hardly did anything else other than work in the dissertation/exam season, and this is what i get to show for it.
I haven't told anyone yet, dreading telling my parents, cause their under the impression that anything other than a 1st or a 2:1 isn't gonna be good enough for jobs and employment, and tbh that is my feeling too.
Not getting the grade you want and feel you deserve feels awful, but it really isn't the end of the world. My best friend got a 2:2, graduated last summer and now has a good job at Fujitsu earning good money. Your degree is such a small part of you as a potential employee. The fact is the ability to average a couple of percent higher than you and get 2:1 doesn't actual tell an employer that much about your ability to do their job. The difference between you and that person is pretty minimal.

It's true, some employers do put caps on who can apply to their grad schemes, but this is mainly to essentially crowd control - it helps keep the numbers a hit smaller and more manageable, but still large enough that they will be able to find someone they like for the job.

Dont be too disheartened, life really isn't over. You will be able to find a job. Try not to let this knock your confidence too much - maybe do some voluntary work for a bit to rebuild some confidence and keep busy during the job search (which can be long and sole destroying for lots of people regardless of degree).
Mr.Spock
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oh, I just realised this was written 2 years ago which makes my response a bit unnecessary 😅 hopefully everythings worked out for you now!
shaikul
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I highly recommend that you take on research regarding the views on a 2:2 degree, and its correlation to employment. DONT assume. if youre naturally talented in the job you wish to pursue, you show your employer via practical execution not your degree. try not to take interest in the school of thought in others and work with what u have! that's the way up my friend
Archurus23
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Smile1994)
So many people seem to have their head up their a*** about this whole 2:2 situ. Okay, it might not open up all opportunities instantly, but it will open doors; a hell of a lot more if you didn't go to uni. It is not the end of the world. It is NOT a useless degree. If it was useless, why are there success stories. If it was, why can you get into multiple masters programmes.Dissappointment is part of life. You didn't do as well as you hoped. But you are not the only one, trust me. Pick yourself up and do not let this number on a piece of paper define you. Decide on your next steps, and make it so that employers will want you with a 2:2, because you are so brilliant in every other way.I know 2 people with 2:2s who have gone on to have successful careers! One had done a masters, the other is doing one at UCL.Truth be told, a 1st doesn't guarantee a thing. I know a brilliant guy.. 1st class degree, decent experience.. he has been rejected by every single grad scheme he has applied to.. around 20, at the first stage or final. You feel like your life would be sorted with a higher grade and its just not true.I don't care what anyone says, with a solid subject, if you don't know anything, you will not pass. You take pride in that.And the people being horrible about a 2:2... well god forbid you don't perform as well in something in your life. I hope that when you feel alone and lost, you look for support and someone actually reminds you that theres more to life, and you have the strength to carry on.You have a degree my love, and it WILL open more doors than if you didn't have it. Don't let this depress you and make you feel less of yourself. You are in an elite minority for just completing uni. So smile. Smile that you did it! Smile that you're breathing. Smile that your journey is not over! And smile that whatever happens next, you will smash it. Because you are not a failure, that 2:2 was a blip.
How did they get into UCL? Don’t they ask for a 2:1?
Archurus23
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Vallito)
Hey, maybe it is late for me to drop my 2 cents into this but I would do it anyway. I am due to graduate with a 2:2 this year unless I achieve 65% in all my modules. Knowing myself, I have never been much of an academic person. I remember when we started university I use to stay up and study or spend 6 hours in the library and I was miserable. My friends still do this but all of them have limited their social life to the maximum in order to achieve a lower 2:1 degree. Believe me when I tell you this that employers will not care in 6 months, even 3. Yes, if you would like to aim at the top of the ladder you would need a 1st or a 2:1 but even then you might not be as successful as you'd like. Maybe people think that they will graduate with a 2:1 and someone will magically appear and offer them a CEO position and a starting salary of 5k a month. Believe me a lot of people with a 2:1 classification will find themselves in your position. Many graduate schemes that want a 2:1 degree don't accept the majority of people and only the best of the best make it. Employers these days talk about how important the grade is or your past experience, making it impossible for students to work towards a 2:1 in a top university whilst maintaining a part-time job as a prestigious organisation - it is just not going to happen. Focus on what you want to do and don't do what I normally do to myself - DON'T UNDERESTIMATE YOURSELF! Don't lower your expectations and accept jobs with a minimum wage just because you feel like you have failed. There are plenty of people out there that would be more than happy for you to work for them and are more than willing to pay high for that! With that being said consider expanding your CV. Luckily I have been able to do projects and work-placements ever since I was about 12 so my CV is about 2 pages long and I have to cut things out. Even if you have worked for 1-2 months write that in. Emphasise on how you've grown and what you've achieved rather than why you left. Apply to suitable and realistic positions, as I said know your worth - don't go applying for a cleaners positions. It might take you months to find a placement/job or weeks it all depends on your personality, skills and mindset!
How did it go?
hawk999
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Not getting a 1st means you wasted your time at university, I really hope I don't get in your position.
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by hawk999)
Not getting a 1st means you wasted your time at university, I really hope I don't get in your position.
Kinda putting everyone else down mate. If those are your personal standards fine. You have that to your advantage. Otherwise let everyone else figure it out on their own if you don’t have anything positive to say
Going Back
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nonsense.

Also, factually incorrect.
(Original post by PSYA4F215Resit)
Wasted your time at uni. The whole point is to get a 2:1 or higher. Being average/below average isn't enough these days. My cousin went through the same **** and is still in a rut. Sucks but I'm laying the smack down since other don't want to lol. Just do your best getting a job now.
Going Back
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also nonsense and factually incorrect.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I got a 2:2 over 15 years ago. Honestly, I don't even list my classification on my CV. It's not made any difference to my career trajectory whatsoever.

So er, apologies to anyone above insisting it's a huge deal.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Far from the end of the world and honestly there are more things in life than graduate schemes you can go for a direct entry role in a job sector you are interested in and be open to moving around the country to get that first job. E.g. junior positions anywhere or direct entry jobs at the civil service. Once you get that first job and have work experience no one is honestly going to give a flying f*** about your degree classification. Well done on graduating in Geography at Exeter btw. Also from your biography you have some interesting traits such as the creation of your own blog. Employers care very much about the extra stuff you bring it's not as black as white as people seem to think it is. A lot of people don't think you can get a job with a 2,2 but that is *******s. I've been through the job market recently, so I wish you the best of luck.
GreenKitten
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
you can always tell who the innocent kids are who think uni is the be all and end all of life

I got a 2:2, didn’t do a single summer placement and now i’m making bank doing my dream job

A 2:2 might make things more difficult and many companies may shut you out of grad schemes but only a fraction of graduates manage to get into those due to high demand - find a job to start with and be proactive about it - ask around at every opportunity you can, and carve out a path from that, or look for something that suits you more (pad out that CV!) don’t pooh-pooh a supermarket/fast food job, it is money in the bank whilst you look for something that suits you more, and you won’t be in it forever. people who look down on those kind of jobs are morons. don’t feel entitled to not have to work these jobs just because you got a degree...

if you have trouble finding a job volunteering is a great way to break through and add padding to your CV - that’s what I did. to anyone who’s got a 2:2 and feels nervous about the future - you got this. get to work and grift, graduate schemes aren’t the only path to a good career.

just wanted to post this as four years ago, I was in the same position as many of you. Nervous, depressed, thinking I had f***ed up my life completely. Get stuck in and with some hard work who knows where you’ll end up. I’m happier now than I ever was at uni. (Yeah this post will probably get some snarky replies from 2nd year uni students who get firsts all the time)
Last edited by GreenKitten; 8 months ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (348)
60.21%
Yes- I don't like it (31)
5.36%