The Student Room Group

Wrote in pencil for some of my GCSE

So this happened a few weeks ago, but it was only when my friend told me today that I shouldn't have done it that I worried a lil bit.

In my first Maths paper I wrote in black ink for the first part of the paper, until I came to some sort of diagram where I started to use pencil. After that, I forgot to switch back to pen.

Would this have any affect on them being able to scan my work? If you're told to use pencil for the diagrams I would've thought you could use it for the rest of the paper without problem anyway.

Thank you!
Original post by saffarinda
So this happened a few weeks ago, but it was only when my friend told me today that I shouldn't have done it that I worried a lil bit.

In my first Maths paper I wrote in black ink for the first part of the paper, until I came to some sort of diagram where I started to use pencil. After that, I forgot to switch back to pen.

Would this have any affect on them being able to scan my work? If you're told to use pencil for the diagrams I would've thought you could use it for the rest of the paper without problem anyway.

Thank you!

My thought is that they will probably just be annoyed that you have written in pencil, but they will then just mark the paper in a different way, rather than scanning it in. I don't think it would cause that much of an issue. Unfortunately, I can't tell for certain, but if they let you use it for some, they'll probably understand for the rest.
Reply 2
Original post by LogicalFallacy
My thought is that they will probably just be annoyed that you have written in pencil, but they will then just mark the paper in a different way, rather than scanning it in. I don't think it would cause that much of an issue. Unfortunately, I can't tell for certain, but if they let you use it for some, they'll probably understand for the rest.

Yeah I was thinking they'll just send it in for traditional writing if it can't be scanned, but I was wondering whether the scanner would pick it up, if it can pick up marks on a diagram I was wondering whether they could pick up marks on the rest of the paper.

Thank you!

*effect.

It might not scan very well, depending on the hardness of the pencil. But it will be marked to the best of the examiner's ability despite the use of pencil.

The reason why you can't use pencil for the entire script is that pencil isn't permanent in the way ballpoint pen is. Pencil can be rubbed out, or otherwise defaced more easily.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
*effect.

It might not scan very well, depending on the hardness of the pencil. But it will be marked to the best of the examiner's ability despite the use of pencil.

The reason why you can't use pencil for the entire script is that pencil isn't permanent in the way ballpoint pen is. Pencil can be rubbed out, or otherwise defaced more easily.

Oops, I'm good at English as well - that's embarrassing.

Ah, that makes sense - thanks!
Oops, I'm good at English as well - that's embarrassing.

Ah, that makes sense - thanks!

:smile: You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest