English literature.

Watch this thread
Poppy55
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I can't describe how much I love English literature as a subject but the two main topics are always feminism and/or racism in basically every book we study.
Don't get me wrong they're very interesting topics I just wish that there was more variety in a subject that should be promoting expression.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Poppy55)
I can't describe how much I love English literature as a subject but the two main topics are always feminism and/or racism in basically every book we study.
Don't get me wrong they're very interesting topics I just wish that there was more variety in a subject that should be promoting expression.
I think that's more because of the nature of the books that are in the list that the exams board provide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What exam board? I totally agree with you and am now slightly nervous that I'm not going to enjoy A-level English lit :s
Poppy55
Rep:
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
I think that's more because of the nature of the books that are in the list that the exams board provide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's true I just think that learning about racism and feminism can get very repetitive. I wish I could be studying books which cover more topics
wolfmoon88
Report 4 years ago
That's true I just think that learning about racism and feminism can get very repetitive. I wish I could be studying books which cover more topics
What books are you doing?

I think these themes are focused on because of their universality which allows it to be easier to connect the books together in comparative essays but I get what you mean.

I did IB Higher Level English Lit and sometimes the themes in the books were quite repetitive. But I talked to my teacher about themes I am interested in and he recommended some interesting books for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
peeked
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Which books have you read that talk about racism? Just wondering cos for me they tend to be more feminism or class differences ( poverty etc). So just interested to know
Poppy55
Rep:
(Original post by Sonechka)
What exam board? I totally agree with you and am now slightly nervous that I'm not going to enjoy A-level English lit :s
I'm doing AQA
Also, it's not as if it's terrible to be studying feminism and racism, it's just that it seems to be all we study in great detail.
Poppy55
Rep:
(Original post by peeked)
Which books have you read that talk about racism? Just wondering cos for me they tend to be more feminism or class differences ( poverty etc). So just interested to know
I'm studying 'The Help' which is all about racism, 'The feminine gospels', 'A streetcar named desire' and 'The Great Gatsby'.
We do study other little topics within those books, but mainly it's about feminism and/or racism for these books. At least that's what my teachers make it seem like, for example even in 'A streetcar named desire' or 'The great Gatsby', we have to put emphasis on things like the patriarchy and female suppression in those books (to link back to feminism) when really I wouldn't say that's the main theme of those books.
wolfmoon88
Report 4 years ago
I'm studying 'The Help' which is all about racism, 'The feminine gospels', 'A streetcar named desire' and 'The Great Gatsby'.
We do study other little topics within those books, but mainly it's about feminism and/or racism for these books. At least that's what my teachers make it seem like, for example even in 'A streetcar named desire' or 'The great Gatsby', we have to put emphasis on things like the patriarchy and female suppression in those books (to link back to feminism) when really I wouldn't say that's the main theme of those books.
I think American Literature has a lot of embedded themes of Racism and Feminism because their history is heavily shaped by Civil Rights issues. I think the teachers focus on racism and feminism to bridge the gap between the 4 books so they are easier to compare. Yeah but it sucks sometimes though especially when other themes may seem more prominent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
peeked
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
oh okay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
16.63%
The paper was reasonable (212)
48.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (103)
23.79%
It was TERRIBLE (46)
10.62%

Watched Threads