W.A.Y.S
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,I'm doing my English exam on streetcar and Gatsby,I thought I would express some of the ideas I have and also ask for any extra revision contributions that could help.

For Streetcar I've spent time reading the play and I have found it really insightful.The whole plot is reference to Greek tragedy as Blanche Dubois plays the tragic hero fallen from southern aristocracy and grace.

As an audience we develop sympathy for her character through the plays brooding motifs + symbols -the varsouvina music/taking baths/alcoholism.These are are all an indication of the internal guilt she suffers from the death of her gay husband,she baths to scrub her sexual immorality,as a genteel "southern belle" she shouldn't be having any sex but she still does because after her husbands death she felt panic

This leads me to think of some themes such as desire/the relationship between death and sex/female dependence on men/- the whole reason Blanche is brought near to destitution is because of the powerful force of desire that had infected her fate.She is on a sexual journey that leads to her down fall/mental breakdown.she has many intamicies with strangers in order assert her existence and control her fate.By this I mean the act of sex gives her the attention she requires from men,Blanche fears that once her looks disappear she will no longer have any control,her interactions with men has given her roofs to stay underneath and temporary Bliss.However,in using sex as bate to save herself she is always putting herself in the hands of others which means she has no real control of her fate and ultimately leads to her down fall.

This is quite a bit and I might write about Gatsby a bit later.If anyone has any ideas,tips or interpretations to these two books that would be great.Thanks
hduff513
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This was very interesting to read your pov and to see how you have interpreted the play
W.A.Y.S
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by hduff513)
This was very interesting to read your pov and to see how you have interpreted the play

Thank you!I didn't think anyone would notice this post,I finished my A level now but if your studying The Great Gatsby then prep scholar http://blog.prepscholar.com/the-grea...cters-analysis has some great stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
12.5%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
31.25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
9.38%
No, I haven't received any communication (15)
46.88%

Watched Threads