This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Speakership Election

Following my resignation, there will now be an election to elect a new Speaker of the Model House of Commons.

Anyone is permitted to stand in this election. There is a seven-day period in which to submit manifestos, which need to be sent to me by 6:30pm on Saturday 24th June. Manifestos must be no longer than 250 words, and may be submitted in either TSR formatted text or image format. Manifestos submitted as an image must be accompanied by a plain text copy in order to be accepted.

The election will proceed as follows:

Day 0 (17 June) – Returning officer announces the election and asks for manifestos to be submitted to them.
Day 7 (24 June) – Returning officer will post the candidates who wish to run in the election for speaker along with manifestos.
Day 7 (24 June) – Candidates for the position are questioned by MPs and members of the House of Commons
Day 10 (27 June) – The returning officer will open a secret poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates’ names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.
Day 14 (1 July) – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the run-off vote a candidate withdraws the run-off is re-ran between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The run-off may be reran a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three run-offs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.

Day 17/20/23 - If a runoff election was needed, results of the election are announced and the candidate with the most votes is elected.
Day 26 - If a Speakership Confirmation Motion was called the results are announced.
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are thinking of running, ask yourself these questions.

1) Am I in it for the long run.
2) Am I ready to stand up to those in that house who feel they should run it, even though they are not speaker.
3) Can I bring something else into the chair that nobody else can.

Good luck to all candidates.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lord save us.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Lord save us.
presumably from another two month speaker?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
From instability, yes. No. 10 will be observing this election closely.
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to those who stand… you're going to need it…
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From instability, yes. No. 10 will be observing this election closely.
Thanks for this.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for this.
For what?

(Original post by Paracosm)
Good luck to those who stand… you're going to need it…
Indeed. :moon:
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I implore any candidate standing to consider if they're planning to stay for at least the remainder of this Parliament. If they do not believe they have the commitment to do so then they should reconsider their candidacy.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For what?

Indeed. :moon:
Actually bothering to reply, rather than ignoring the notification
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Oi! 2 and a half! 3 by the end of the election xD
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Oi! 2 and a half! 3 by the end of the election xD
Why does this actually sound like LP?, but OK, i did underestimate your tenure
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to those intending to stand.
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Given the current situation, I would implore that only experienced candidates put their names forward and echo calls above for the candidate to be in it for the long-haul.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually bothering to reply, rather than ignoring the notification
I don't understand. That's a common courtesy. Did I previously ignore a notification from you?
Metrobeans
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It might also be useful if current/ex-Speakers could advise how much time they spent per day on the role. I would comment, but I actually can't remember!
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to those who stand. I take the view that the House is not currently in a good place, and as such, I will vote for the person who can provide the firm, stable, long-term leadership to get it out of that place.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look at Bercow, staying put in times of uncertainty. RL HoC makes it look so easy.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Metrobeans)
It might also be useful if current/ex-Speakers could advise how much time they spent per day on the role. I would comment, but I actually can't remember!
Around half an hour per update, probably less than that most nights when you get the hang of it. Hansard I did monthly and it took a few hours to do the various Hansards. Other things come along once in a while really and I never saw them as a huge commitment. Other than termly awards, which I always hated doing.
username3380984
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to candidates.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (241)
14.9%
The paper was reasonable (901)
55.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (355)
21.95%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
7.42%

Watched Threads