Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am new to the student room (first real post), but this is something I feel really strongly about. I am really nervous that I won't get accepted by any medical schools when I apply because my extra-curriculars and work experience will hinder me.

If anyone is wondering, I considered becoming a dentist because I find teeth interesting (that sounds weird but isn't, I promise ), hence why there are dentistry-related things here. My focus now is becoming a doctor.

Any input on what I can offer and any suggestions of things I can do to make my application better would be much appreciated. Sorry if it's a bit wordy.

GCSEs: 11A* 3A

A-Levels (Predicted): Maths (A*), Chemistry (A*), Biology (A) + EPQ about Dentistry (A*)

Current/Past Extra-curriculars: Young enterprise, DofE bronze [and silver - in progress], prefect, house captain, paid peer mentor, worked in a supermarket for 6 months, medical courses on FutureLearn, reading medical books (e.g Complications by Atul Gawande and public health books)

Current/Past Work Experience/Volunteering: Total volunteering time ~1 year (charity shops, etc), 1 week hospital placement organised for August, 1 week at a dental practice, starting to volunteer at a hospital soon (>2 hours per week)

Potential Extra-Curriculars: considering organising an event for students at my school who are interested in or considering pursuing a career in healthcare - like a panel/Q&A with healthcare professionals (doctors, dentists, nurses, etc) or a seminar;

Potential Work Experience/ Volunteering: Trying to get into GPs but they keep rejecting me for confidentiality reasons ; thinking about asking the department of health/public health for work experience to get an insight into the regulations of healthcare as a whole or the provision of public health (wondering if this is any good?), could have more experience at the dentist (but not directly relevant); maybe private healthcare clinics (not sure if they are seen as positively as NHS)

Medical Schools Being Considered: Oxford*, Cambridge*, Edinburgh*, Imperial, UCL, Birmingham, Cardiff, Southampton

* = My favourites (before the open days)

That's all I can think of. Any input would be amazing and if anyone has any ideas for me in terms of work experience, volunteering or extra-curriculars, then that would be too.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that people who say they are really worried about exams or say 'Oh I've not done very well!' actually do better than people who say 'That was easy!' or 'Oh that exam was fine'...

You are one of those people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxmedic)
    Hi, I am new to the student room (first real post), but this is something I feel really strongly about. I am really nervous that I won't get accepted by any medical schools when I apply because my extra-curriculars and work experience will hinder me.

If anyone is wondering, I considered becoming a dentist because I find teeth interesting (that sounds weird but isn't, I promise ), hence why there are dentistry-related things here. My focus now is becoming a doctor.

Any input on what I can offer and any suggestions of things I can do to make my application better would be much appreciated. Sorry if it's a bit wordy.

A-Levels (Predicted): Maths (A*), Chemistry (A*), Biology (A) + EPQ about Dentistry (A*)

Current/Past Extra-curriculars: Young enterprise, DofE bronze [and silver - in progress], prefect, house captain, paid peer mentor, worked in a supermarket for 6 months, medical courses on FutureLearn, reading medical books (e.g Complications by Atul Gawande and public health books)

Current/Past Work Experience/Volunteering: Total volunteering time ~1 year (charity shops, etc), 1 week hospital placement organised for August, 1 week at a dental practice, starting to volunteer at a hospital soon (>2 hours per week)

Potential Extra-Curriculars: considering organising an event for students at my school who are interested in or considering pursuing a career in healthcare - like a panel/Q&A with healthcare professionals (doctors, dentists, nurses, etc) or a seminar;

Potential Work Experience/ Volunteering: Trying to get into GPs but they keep rejecting me for confidentiality reasons ; thinking about asking the department of health/public health for work experience to get an insight into the regulations of healthcare as a whole or the provision of public health (wondering if this is any good?), could have more experience at the dentist (but not directly relevant); maybe private healthcare clinics (not sure if they are seen as positively as NHS)

Medical Schools Being Considered: Oxford*, Cambridge*, Edinburgh*, Imperial, UCL, Birmingham, Cardiff, Southampton

That's all I can think of. Any input would be amazing and if anyone has any ideas for me in terms of work experience, volunteering or extra-curriculars, then that would be too.
    Based on A*% , Oxford is a bit risky, especially with having to get a solid BMAT score too. You're good for the rest though.

EPQ on dentistry is suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Based on A*% , Oxford is a bit risky, especially with having to get a solid BMAT score too. You're good for the rest though.

EPQ on dentistry is suicide.
    I heard that Oxford are a bit weird about GCSEs - thank you for your input.Why is an EPQ on dentistry suicide?

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding me? Are you trolling?

I'm predicted AAA and only got 1A* and 7As at GCSE and I have an offer from southampton.

I ONLY DID ONE WEEK OF WORK EXPERIENCE AND I GOT A PLACE BRO

On a more serious note, as long as your UKCAT and BMAT and predicted grades are good it depends on your interview after that, work experience doesn't actually matter until the interview stage where you have to say what you learnt from your work experience.

Also you don't need any more work experience

Summary: UKCAT and BMAT entrance tests and interviews hold more weight over work experience and GCSEs provides you have the necessary grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .A_C.)
    I read somewhere that people who say they are really worried about exams or say 'Oh I've not done very well!' actually do better than people who say 'That was easy!' or 'Oh that exam was fine'...

You are one of those people.
    I'm worried because it's so competitive

ReputationRep:
    You have a very good shot, provided you do well on BMAT/ukcat and maybe see if you can get some community work experience like gp/care home,
    Why do you think you dont have a shot?
    careful with dentistry epq theyll just ask at interview why not apply to dentistry?
    Everything sounds solid, just get good AS and admission tests and nail interviews.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that Oxford are a bit weird about GCSEs - thank you for your input.Why is an EPQ on dentistry suicide?
    The medical schools will read it and be confused as to why it's dentistry and not medicine, then they become aware the desire to study medicine was quite recent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    The medical schools will read it and be confused as to why it's dentistry and not medicine, then they become aware the desire to study medicine was quite recent.
    Oh, damn...

Should I talk to my supervisor about it and whether I should change it? The final deadline is in December, but the due date for a first draft is at the beginning of July.

ReputationRep:

Hahahaha. You make me feel inferior with your excellent grades and phenomenal work experience + extra-curricular roles.. and yet it seems you have the audacity to question your chances?

You sir are a lemon. Resembling a sweet orange but being rather sour. (Ignore this idk.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    You have a very good shot, provided you do well on BMAT/ukcat and maybe see if you can get some community work experience like gp/care home,
    Why do you think you dont have a shot?
    careful with dentistry epq theyll just ask at interview why not apply to dentistry?
    Everything sounds solid, just get good AS and admission tests and nail interviews.
    Thank you very much glad-he-ate-her. I've been so worried because I have one of those friends who seems to offer everything to the nth degree and because of the typical horror stories that float around.

GradeA*UnderA raised the same point about the EPQ; do you think I should talk to my supervisor and see about changing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedHB)
    Hahahaha. You make me feel inferior with your excellent grades and phenomenal work experience + extra-curricular roles.. and yet it seems you have the audacity to question your chances?

You sir are a lemon. Resembling a sweet orange but being rather sour. (Ignore this idk.)
    Sorry, thank you, I'm not sure which to say. I wouldn't say my work experience is phenomenal compared to most though

ReputationRep:
    Oh, damn...

Should I talk to my supervisor about it and whether I should change it? The final deadline is in December, but the due date for a first draft is at the beginning of July.
    It's your call, but I probably would. It shouldn't be too difficult to just switch some phrases around.

ReputationRep:

You're so dumb you're just bragging of course you will get into a medicine course doesn't matter what university you go to because the degree is all that matters. Stop showing off and being so prideful and just calm down. Btw you got better GCSE's than the smartest guy in my school (11A*'s 1A) Forgot to add, "hence why" doesn't make sense it's like saying "consequently why"

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much glad-he-ate-her. I've been so worried because I have one of those friends who seems to offer everything to the nth degree and because of the typical horror stories that float around.

GradeA*UnderA raised the same point about the EPQ; do you think I should talk to my supervisor and see about changing it?
    Maybe not change it but choose a more common ground between dentistry and medicine maybe oral and maxillofacial surgery which they can't corner you at interview about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    You're so dumb you're just bragging of course you will get into a medicine course doesn't matter what university you go to because the degree is all that matters. Stop showing off and being so prideful and just calm down. Btw you got better GCSE's than the smartest guy in my school (11A*'s 1A) Forgot to add, "hence why" doesn't make sense it's like saying "consequently why"
    I'm sorry but I have dreamed of going to Oxbridge for years and I am not showing off, because I am not worried about grades holding me back. There are so many stories of good applicants being rejected because of a lack of work experience, etc, which is my concern.

I'll leave it as it is

ReputationRep:
    Good applicants get rejected because their interviews suck as they are boring people who give generic answers and show that they're not someone other people would want to work with.
    I'm sorry but I have dreamed of going to Oxbridge for years and I am not showing off, because I am not worried about grades holding me back. There are so many stories of good applicants being rejected because of a lack of work experience, etc, which is my concern.

I'll leave it as it is

ReputationRep:

I'll leave it as it is
    Ask yourself. Why do I want to go to oxbridge? It's a lot of work and i'm helping you live an easier life. Rather than going to oxbridge why not go to another university such as Imperial college london and get your degree, become a doctor and still make the same amount of money as someone who went to oxbridge. Of course you won't be able to tell people you went to oxbridge but well thats my opinions kpeaceoutbye

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, thank you, I'm not sure which to say. I wouldn't say my work experience is phenomenal compared to most though
    Listen buddy, just disregard the competition. You can apply to 4 medical school, providing you aren't socially a trainwreck, you most likely will get in.

It's all dependant on your performance at interview.

I know someone who got BBCD at A level and is now studying medicine at Newcastle.

Have some confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Maybe not change it but choose a more common ground between dentistry and medicine maybe oral and maxillofacial surgery which they can't corner you at interview about
    Okay, thank you. I'll see about adjusting it if I can. I kept the dentistry one because it was vaguely medical, but I had other ideas at the start, such as California seceding from the USA and any effects of that potentially happening. Would an off-topic one such as this be worth considering?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.