The Student Room Group

Should I switch from a Law degree to a History degree?

I applied to do a Law degree but now I am a bit unsure about whether that is the right choice for me. I have read books from both History and Law uni courses and I like them both but I struggle a lot more with the Law books. Also, I have read that Law requires a lot more work than history. I am unsure about whether I want to go into Law as a career, so it seems quite pointless to me to have the added stress of doing a law degree when I could do a history degree and be happier at university and have more free time. Would you say that Law is a lot harder than history and more time consuming? I am a hard worker (at least I think) but I also want to be able to enjoy uni.
Original post by Kezia15
I applied to do a Law degree but now I am a bit unsure about whether that is the right choice for me. I have read books from both History and Law uni courses and I like them both but I struggle a lot more with the Law books. Also, I have read that Law requires a lot more work than history. I am unsure about whether I want to go into Law as a career, so it seems quite pointless to me to have the added stress of doing a law degree when I could do a history degree and be happier at university and have more free time. Would you say that Law is a lot harder than history and more time consuming? I am a hard worker (at least I think) but I also want to be able to enjoy uni.

More difficult? Maybe , but also less familiar. They are definitely drier.
More work? Unsure. You can do an infinite amount for either.
You can always do law later on just by doing the conversion course, so imo enjoy history and see what you feel about Law afterwards.

Do go to a good uni and get a food class of degree though.
Original post by Kezia15

If you honestly feel that Law isn't for you, I would highly suggest you to do a History degree. You can always do a GDL later on if you want to transfer into Law (although the regulations are changing and you might end up doing the super-exam in the near future).
What would you be doing with a history degree after graduation? (not being condescending, just curious) it seems to me like for now yeah okay history is easier and law needs more work which results in you having less free time but think about your future, which person is more likely to be hired, one with a law degree or a history degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending