Vet Nurse with a BTEC?! Is it possible

Watch
Sarah_g_24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really want to become a Veterinary Nurse via University and I am in my first year at sixth-form studying A-Level English Language (Predicted B) and Medical Science Level 3 BTEC (Predicted D*/D). I was put onto the BTEC having grade a / a* course work and only grade B's in all exams. However, I still really want to take Bio and Chem at A-Level next year and therefore stay in college for a third year but is this worth it?
My college is struggling to see why I would want to take such a risk if i can get in with the BTEC. I want to do these courses more than anything but I am really struggling to persuade the college to accept me in as they don't want to risk it on my behalf.
I completed Bio and Chem AS papers and passed both 68% and 50% with no A-Level teaching or help.Has anyone got into / know anybody doing a BSc or FdSc Veterinary Nursing with a BTEC?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sarah_g_24)
I really want to become a Veterinary Nurse via University and I am in my first year at sixth-form studying A-Level English Language (Predicted B) and Medical Science Level 3 BTEC (Predicted D*/D). I was put onto the BTEC having grade a / a* course work and only grade B's in all exams. However, I still really want to take Bio and Chem at A-Level next year and therefore stay in college for a third year but is this worth it?
My college is struggling to see why I would want to take such a risk if i can get in with the BTEC. I want to do these courses more than anything but I am really struggling to persuade the college to accept me in as they don't want to risk it on my behalf.
I completed Bio and Chem AS papers and passed both 68% and 50% with no A-Level teaching or help.Has anyone got into / know anybody doing a BSc or FdSc Veterinary Nursing with a BTEC?
Contact the unis and find out if it would make any difference whether you did the exams or not.

If not then take them.

If it does , then consider applying, getting a place and then deferring entry till after A levels.

Doing the A levels will open up more courses.

For instance Bristol require Chemistry.

The RVC require the extended diploma

Level 3 Extended Diploma (syllabus for students starting this qualification from 2016)

Pearson 'Applied Science' or 'Biomedical Science': DDM overall (no specific unit requirements).

Pearson 'Animal Management with Science': DDM overall with Distinctions in:

• Animal Biology
  • Animal Health and Diseases
  • Practical Animal Husbandry

Candidates also need to achieve at least Merits in elective modules:

• Principles of Animal Nursing
  • Exotic Animal Husbandry

City & Guilds 'Animal Management (Science)': D overall with Distinctions in:

• Biological Systems of Animals
  • Principles of Health and Safety
  • Animal Health and Husbandry

Candidates also need to achieve at least a Merit in elective module:

• Exotic Animal Health and Husbandry

Middlesex will consider DD as minimum.

Go through your chosen unis and check to see what they require, then make your mind up.
Sarah_g_24
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Contact the unis and find out if it would make any difference whether you did the exams or not.

If not then take them.

If it does , then consider applying, getting a place and then deferring entry till after A levels.

Doing the A levels will open up more courses.

For instance Bristol require Chemistry.

The RVC require the extended diploma

Level 3 Extended Diploma (syllabus for students starting this qualification from 2016)

Pearson 'Applied Science' or 'Biomedical Science': DDM overall (no specific unit requirements).

Pearson 'Animal Management with Science': DDM overall with Distinctions in:

• Animal Biology
  • Animal Health and Diseases
  • Practical Animal Husbandry

Candidates also need to achieve at least Merits in elective modules:

• Principles of Animal Nursing
  • Exotic Animal Husbandry

City & Guilds 'Animal Management (Science)': D overall with Distinctions in:

• Biological Systems of Animals
  • Principles of Health and Safety
  • Animal Health and Husbandry

Candidates also need to achieve at least a Merit in elective module:

• Exotic Animal Health and Husbandry

Middlesex will consider DD as minimum.

Go through your chosen unis and check to see what they require, then make your mind up.
I've been emailing Universities lately and found it narrows the options down, the BTEC I'm doing is focused around human medicine and the units I'm completing over the two years are:
Unit 1 - Fundamentals of Science,
Unit 2 - Working in the Science Industry,
Unit 3 - Scientific investigations,
Unit 4 - Scientific Practical Techniques, Unit 5 - Perceptions of Science,
Unit 6 - Using Mathematical Tools for Science,
Unit 8 - Using Statistics for Science, Unit 11 - Physiology of Human Body Systems,
Unit 12 - Physiology of Human Regulation and Reproduction,
Unit 13 - Biochemistry and Biomedical Techniques,
Unit 18 - Genetics and Genetic Engineering,
Unit 20 - Medical Physics Techniques, Unit 21 - Nutrition for HSC and Unit 43 - Diseases and Infections.

Nottingham have said I could do the FdSc with a Distinction, the RCVS doesn't accept my BTEC and said I will need 3 A-Levels at grade BCC which I feel is achievable, they said for the FdSc I would only need CC, Bristol say I would need Chemistry along side the BTEC so I'd be looking to stay an extra year anyway.
I just need the college to allow me to do them as they don't want me to risk it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
I've been emailing Universities lately and found it narrows the options down, the BTEC I'm doing is focused around human medicine and the units I'm completing over the two years are:
Unit 1 - Fundamentals of Science,
Unit 2 - Working in the Science Industry,
Unit 3 - Scientific investigations,
Unit 4 - Scientific Practical Techniques, Unit 5 - Perceptions of Science,
Unit 6 - Using Mathematical Tools for Science,
Unit 8 - Using Statistics for Science, Unit 11 - Physiology of Human Body Systems,
Unit 12 - Physiology of Human Regulation and Reproduction,
Unit 13 - Biochemistry and Biomedical Techniques,
Unit 18 - Genetics and Genetic Engineering,
Unit 20 - Medical Physics Techniques, Unit 21 - Nutrition for HSC and Unit 43 - Diseases and Infections.

Nottingham have said I could do the FdSc with a Distinction, the RCVS doesn't accept my BTEC and said I will need 3 A-Levels at grade BCC which I feel is achievable, they said for the FdSc I would only need CC, Bristol say I would need Chemistry along side the BTEC so I'd be looking to stay an extra year anyway.
I just need the college to allow me to do them as they don't want me to risk it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cant see what the problem is.

Do the research and then show the college that what you have currently is insufficient to get you onto a course or the one you want.

It is very difficult to find a college which does A level sciences , especially if you are over 18. They have mostly switched to Access courses.

If you have done the research then you will know who requires what. You can plan accordingly.
Sarah_g_24
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I cant see what the problem is.

Do the research and then show the college that what you have currently is insufficient to get you onto a course or the one you want.

It is very difficult to find a college which does A level sciences , especially if you are over 18. They have mostly switched to Access courses.

If you have done the research then you will know who requires what. You can plan accordingly.
Hmmm yea it's tricky I've showed them the emails and they seem set in their ways, I have a meeting to discuss it with the head of science and the student manager on Monday as the final yes or no they think vet nursing is easy to get into with a btec 😂 I'd be looking at D* level but I feel the applicants with A-Level will have the advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Hmmm yea it's tricky I've showed them the emails and they seem set in their ways, I have a meeting to discuss it with the head of science and the student manager on Monday as the final yes or no they think vet nursing is easy to get into with a btec 😂 I'd be looking at D* level but I feel the applicants with A-Level will have the advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesnt appear you are doing the full extended diploma so you are at a disadvantage there. There are also other BTECS which are more suited.

I suggest you print off the web pages for the 5-10 unis you want to apply to and then draw up a table showing what each one requires and they might get the message. I'd have thought there might be funding and age issues, which is why they are reluctant.

The argument is straightforward in that what you have is not sufficient to gain entry. Whether they let you or not, then if you have set your sights on the better colleges you should try for them. that is what I would do.

Dont argue or antagonise, just impress them by giving them all the information they need and gently persuade them.
Sarah_g_24
Rep:
?
Thanks, yea I'm doing the subsidiary not extend which is a problem, they've started that course up now for next year because they've realised it's difficult to get into much with this course 😩 There could be funding issues I'd finish college at 19 instead of 18. Thanks for your help 😋
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads