What's the most competitive graduate job market? Watch

frostfly
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it the legal sector? Healthcare sector?
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Surely Law?
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely legal, id wager healthcare has a lot of competition too though.
Eternal Anglo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Going with law, you have to take into account the quality of applicants too. I don't care if a lot of graduates from the University of McDonalds all want to be bus drivers, that doesn't make it competitive.
MonsoonFlower
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by honour)
I'd say equally both. To be honest most graduate jobs in any sector are competitive - but don't quote me on that though, I might be wrong.

My sister works in the legal sector and she suggests the work for graduates has dried up over the years.
Coincidentally I recruit for the Healthcare sector (also studied the subject at university), and although it's a politically demanding sector as people are living longer, it is also hard to get work but some people are reluctant to get into the sector as it is little pay as you would imagine. However most people do it because it's a rewarding job by helping disadvantaged people. Fulfilling humanity.
frostfly
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
I'd say investment banking was far more competitive than law given quality and application numbers.

I've worked in legal recruitment for a long time, and it's a bit of a myth that it is uber competitive. Quality of applications is very strong, but from my experience strategic consulting and investment banking (in lots of different functions) brought in a far greater quality of student and much higher application numbers.

Marketing is also ridiculously competitive though too and the quality of applications tends to be pretty high, even if the profile of the student is very different to a legal applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask which sector Human Resources belong to? I heard that's also extremely competitive, but perhaps a large number of applicants aren't graduates as those jobs don't often require you to be educated to degree.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by honour)
Finance/Consulting

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
32.85%
No (70)
51.09%
Don't know (22)
16.06%

Watched Threads