boopbop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I'll be doing IB English A next year and I've currently chosen to do language and literature but I'm still unsure about my decision. Can anyone tell me the differences between the courses, examples of what either course involves, and what you personally think is the better option? Thank you!
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by boopbop)
Hi. I'll be doing IB English A next year and I've currently chosen to do language and literature but I'm still unsure about my decision. Can anyone tell me the differences between the courses, examples of what either course involves, and what you personally think is the better option? Thank you!
I took IB English A Literature as a part of my IB diploma. Generally speaking, English Literature is considered the harder class compared to Language and Literature.

Literature focuses more on literature texts and analysing of literary themes, authorial choices etc... (fiction) Lang and Lit is different in the fact that half of the course is grounded in more real world related texts, like political propaganda, lyrics etc... as well as literature texts. (non-fiction and fiction)

I personally think that both could be interesting because I didn't have a choice (My school only offers lit). If I had to choose, I think I would still choose lit mostly because I enjoy the comparative and literary analysis aspects of the course. (probably the only IB class I wasn't disinterested in by the end of my diploma course)

Attached below is a comparison image of the contents of the two courses.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
moo534
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by boopbop)
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
I took IB English A Literature as a part of my IB diploma. Generally speaking, English Literature is considered the harder class compared to Language and Literature.

Literature focuses more on literature texts and analysing of literary themes, authorial choices etc... (fiction) Lang and Lit is different in the fact that half of the course is grounded in more real world related texts, like political propaganda, lyrics etc... as well as literature texts. (non-fiction and fiction)

I personally think that both could be interesting because I didn't have a choice (My school only offers lit). If I had to choose, I think I would still choose lit mostly because I enjoy the comparative and literary analysis aspects of the course. (probably the only IB class I wasn't disinterested in by the end of my diploma course)

Attached below is a comparison image of the contents of the two courses.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I definitely agree with wolfmoon88 in the lit class being perceived as the harder of the two, however from my own experience I'm very grateful I took lit over lang lit. My school offered both and a lot of my friends did lang lit because of the perception that it's easier, honestly they all regretted taking lang lit, on the basis they had to do 2 more presentations in class and their final exam is ridiculous. In lit I found it so much simpler, you did your IOP, than your coursework, then your IOC and everything else was just studying 3 texts for the final exam (I did HL). My friends (I'm not too confident on what I remember) did 3 IOP's all on different topic and the best sent off, had their IOC on 3 whole different book extracts (mine was 10 different poems and blindly choose a book you analysed in class), their coursework, and studying 3 text for the final exam (3 for HL, 2 for SL for both Lit and lang lit).

When comparing the final exam they're similar on the paper 2 (I think), the 3 or 2 texts that were chosen will be used (i.e quotations) in an attempt to answer 1 of 3 questions you can choose from.This is the same for lang lit as it is for lit. However, paper 1 is very different and why everyone I knew hated lang lit. For lit in paper 1, you chose between a prose piece or poetry piece, and wrote a commentary. That was it. In lang lit, you have 2 optional choices as well, however both are comparisons. For my year group, we sat our exams this year, I know that one was a mobile advert being compared to a poem, I think their mock might have been an article on monkeys being compared to a poem on thunderstorms. That's an just example of what you can get, honestly judging by my friends experiences I'm very happy I didn't do lang lit, mainly because paper 1 tends to be quite horrible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads