The Student Room Group

Access to nursing Derby or Nottingham college?

Hi lovely people, I've got offerers for the access to nursing course at both derby college at Ilkeston and central/ncn merge in Notts but can't decide between the two.

I live smack bang in the middle of both campuses so it's not distance, I just don't know which would be best.

Derby college's campus at Ilkeston is newer and I liked the feel of the place but at interview central college, although disorganised, the lecturers made the course sound much more exciting!

I want to study mental health nursing, ideally at Notts uni (with derby as my back up as I can't relocate), in Sept 2018. Central college mentioned that they work closely with the admission's department of Notts uni which made me perk my ears up but then I guess I could be applying for any uni around the UK in theory so how much difference does that really make?

Anyone done the access course at Notts or derby and can give me some real info on staff and content etc?

Anyone due to start at either this September?

I'm a mature student and been out of study and work due to ill health for over 10 years so this is a massive deal for me. I'm trying to get some work experience at the moment In a couple of mental health charities around my local area. Do any of you have any tips for places unis might favour outside of a hospital or care home setting as although my health is getting there I'm not quite ready for 12hour shifts! I know I'll have shifts once I'm on placement but that's almost 18months away so have plenty of recovery time left yet.

Thanks for any advice or help!

J
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
you could always volunteer at a care home instead of working. that would mean no 12h shifts. ot volunteer at hospital. for mental health you could see if there are any groups for people with mental health issues near you and just help out there?

One thing you could do is email both colleges and ask for a list of units you will do for both and measure them against each other?
best of luck
Original post by LittleBlu
Hi lovely people, I've got offerers for the access to nursing course at both derby college at Ilkeston and central/ncn merge in Notts but can't decide between the two.

I live smack bang in the middle of both campuses so it's not distance, I just don't know which would be best.

Derby college's campus at Ilkeston is newer and I liked the feel of the place but at interview central college, although disorganised, the lecturers made the course sound much more exciting!

I want to study mental health nursing, ideally at Notts uni (with derby as my back up as I can't relocate), in Sept 2018. Central college mentioned that they work closely with the admission's department of Notts uni which made me perk my ears up but then I guess I could be applying for any uni around the UK in theory so how much difference does that really make?

Anyone done the access course at Notts or derby and can give me some real info on staff and content etc?

Anyone due to start at either this September?

I'm a mature student and been out of study and work due to ill health for over 10 years so this is a massive deal for me. I'm trying to get some work experience at the moment In a couple of mental health charities around my local area. Do any of you have any tips for places unis might favour outside of a hospital or care home setting as although my health is getting there I'm not quite ready for 12hour shifts! I know I'll have shifts once I'm on placement but that's almost 18months away so have plenty of recovery time left yet.

Thanks for any advice or help!

J

Hi, I am coming to the very end of my access course (a college in Surrey) and should be starting my adult nursing degree this September (awaiting all my grades).
Have either college told you which subjects you will be studying? As some subjects are more difficult that others and that may influence your decision. And did either college tell you about student satisfaction or how many students went on to university after completing the course?
I used volunteer at the hospital I'm now a bank care assistant at and we used to do 3 hour voluntary shifts, so you don't have to do 12 hour shifts. So it's worth seeing if your local hospital have any voluntary vacancies. The work experience with mental health charities will be very beneficial to your application. Anything that shows you have an insight into mental health nursing and experience in a healthcare setting. It's also worth writing some notes/making a start on you personal statement as its all systems go when you start college and it pays to be prepared.
I hope this helps.
Hi,

I'm due to start an Access Course at Central this September. I do have an offer from both Central and NCN (the Merge has only just took place, so effectively they are still separate campuses) but having been to NCN before I much prefer Central. Although I totally agree that the College appears disorganised (the Tutors are fantastic though!), I can tell you now after having done an Access previously NCN are so, so much worse. I couldn't wait for the course to finish it was that all over the place. I also have a friend who is currently a student nurse at Nottingham and having done her Access at Clarendon Campus agrees that NCN are very disorganised.

With regards to Central having close links with University of Nottingham, NCN also have very good links to the University too. Nottingham are very keen on making their outreach to other Schools/Colleges as good as it can be. I'm also hoping to be at Nottingham too; will be applying to Derby as insurance but would love to be at Nottingham. I'm currently working as a Healthcare Assistant at City Hospital atm, hoping to get my hours down to part-time as I have decided to pursue the Access course this year. When I took the job I was going to postpone it a year, but after getting onto the ward I just knew that I wanted to get into Nursing sooner rather than later. :-)

Completely understand your nerves. Taking the first step to becoming a Nurse is massive, but if you know that it is the right path for you it can be a very rewarding one. In my job I meet a lot of student nurses, and they all speak so positively about the course (especially at Nottingham University) and how they are really enjoying placements/their training etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Hayyz91
you could always volunteer at a care home instead of working. that would mean no 12h shifts. ot volunteer at hospital. for mental health you could see if there are any groups for people with mental health issues near you and just help out there?

One thing you could do is email both colleges and ask for a list of units you will do for both and measure them against each other?
best of luck

Thanks that's really helpful!
Reply 5
Hi Amy did you start your access course in the end? Are you at clarendon? I decided to go with ncn and can't believe how many nursing access students there are following the merger! It's full on but am enjoying it so far. Except biochem, that's just not fun!
Reply 6
Hi Ladies, i know this is an old thread, Please can someone help me out. I am starting Access to Nursing and Midwifery next month September 2018, at Adams Building City Cetre Nottingham and would like to know what days do you attend lectures and what time does it take to finish ? What are your experience at NCN. We are starting an enrolment in few weeks time but just curious to have an idea on how it runs. Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by Angel h
Hi Ladies, i know this is an old thread, Please can someone help me out. I am starting Access to Nursing and Midwifery next month September 2018, at Adams Building City Cetre Nottingham and would like to know what days do you attend lectures and what time does it take to finish ? What are your experience at NCN. We are starting an enrolment in few weeks time but just curious to have an idea on how it runs. Thanks.

Hi I know it’s a while since you posted this but I’m starting the same course this year and I was just wondering the same things you asked since you started last year what days do you attend lectures/ how many hours a week?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending