?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Any reason for this?
poeticwhirlwind
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably because it's frowned upon here. Our culture is that breasts should always be covered - even when breastfeeding (why idk). Abroad it's more socially acceptable to go topless, so more girls are comfortable doing so.
jhgjhgg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
(Original post by poeticwhirlwind)
Probably because it's frowned upon here. Our culture is that breasts should always be covered - even when breastfeeding (why idk). Abroad it's more socially acceptable to go topless, so more girls are comfortable doing so.
Do you go topless on holiday?
username3280668
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What?! Girls go topless in beaches in other countries!? Ah man, I wish that happened here hehe. I'd visit the beach more. :sexface:
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Throwaway740)
What?! Girls go topless in beaches in other countries!? Ah man, I wish that happened here hehe. I'd visit the beach more. :sexface:
It's common in the south of france and spain. In spain you will find 30-40% of women topless on beaches.
poeticwhirlwind
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jhgjhgg)
Do you go topless on holiday?
No, I prefer to have tan lines as a point of comparison really. Like 'look how pale I was before and how tanned I am now!!' Also I don't really feel that comfortable going topless in front of strangers. But I do believe that if women want to go topless they should have the option to.
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by poeticwhirlwind)
No, I prefer to have tan lines as a point of comparison really. Like 'look how pale I was before and how tanned I am now!!' Also I don't really feel that comfortable going topless in front of strangers. But I do believe that if women want to go topless they should have the option to.
But if a lot of people are topless then it doesn't feel as bad. They are just breasts at the end of the day, it's nothing no one has seen.
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could also be due to the anonymity; they may feel more comfortable exposing themselves in a foreign beach due to being surrounded by strangers, whereas in local beaches they are more likely to be embarrassed or worried about being seen by people they know.

I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere on a nudist documentary or something.
poeticwhirlwind
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But if a lot of people are topless then it doesn't feel as bad. They are just breasts at the end of the day, it's nothing no one has seen.
Yes, but it's just my personal preference.
username3280668
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's common in the south of france and spain. In spain you will find 30-40% of women topless on beaches.
Ah man, that's melons for days. Might take a quick trip across the channel for the summer haha.
Bex94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been, and seen other women, topless on UK beaches but I think it's less common in the UK because (a) our weather is usually terrible, (b) culturally we're not as liberal with nudity as our European counterparts, (c) people tend to be more active on British beaches (i.e. playing beach tennis, building sand castles etc; and (d) there's more chance of bumping into friends, family, teachers, pupils, the local priest etc on a UK beach which would put many women off out of fear of embarrassing themselves or the person who they bumped into.
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bex94)
I've been, and seen other women, topless on UK beaches but I think it's less common in the UK because (a) our weather is usually terrible, (b) culturally we're not as liberal with nudity as our European counterparts, (c) people tend to be more active on British beaches (i.e. playing beach tennis, building sand castles etc; and (d) there's more chance of bumping into friends, family, teachers, pupils, the local priest etc on a UK beach which would put many women off out of fear of embarrassing themselves or the person who they bumped into.
Do you go topless on holiday but not in the UK?
Sternumator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Loads of reasons. As mentioned already there is the cultural difference and the fact you are less likely to see people you know.

I also think holidays are a time to let go and do things you wouldn't normally do. Why do people go on banana boats on holiday but don't do it in the UK? There is no particular reason but you are on holiday so why not?

It's also to get an even sun tan and there is rarely sun in the UK.

Finally, beaches in the UK attract a different crowd. Different people go to Scarborough than trendy French resorts. Visiting UK seaside towns is quite an old fashioned thing to do so people visiting are more conservative.
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any reason for this?
It is frowned upon and/ or illegal in a lot of the UK. There are some nudist beaches, but at most beaches in the UK you could be arrested for indecent exposure if you went topless or at least get some really dirty looks.
In Europe is is often more common place and less of an issue socially and legally.

People probably don't want to whip out their tits where they might encounter their old teacher, grandma, dry cleaner etc either. When on holiday it's a different environment though- "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".

Also, the UK is pretty damn cold most of the time so there's that.
Bex94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you go topless on holiday but not in the UK?
I've done both in the past but don't really go to the beach all that often in the UK so it's much less common here.
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bex94)
I've done both in the past but don't really go to the beach all that often in the UK so it's much less common here.
What about hotel swimming pools? I used to go topless in hotel swimming pools but then I would get a lot of frowns from people.
Bex94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What about hotel swimming pools? I used to go topless in hotel swimming pools but then I would get a lot of frowns from people.
I'd expect frowns if I did that in the hotel pool where I have my gym membership but if we're talking a resort hotel, then it's usually absolutely fine to take you top off. I've done it in loads of hotels before.
xdestarx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's usually hotter on holiday abroad, and for a longer amount of time, so more worth it, (I barely catch the sun in this country). Also, less chancing of seeing someone you know on holiday so less awkward.
Reality Check
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any reason for this?
Have you actually been the beach on, say, the East Coast? If you got went topless, you'd probably end up in hospital with hypothermia. :lol:
Nutandbolt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Same reason as men can't walk around naked, it's about public decency and modesty.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise