The Student Room Group

UN to finally make cultural appropriation illegal.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

I debated this issue at a Model UN conference this year (representing France) and it's an iffy issue, considering it is hard to tell what is an example of cultural appropriation and what is not.

It will be interesting what artefacts are therefore forced to be returned to their native countries e.g. The Elgin Marbles
(edited 6 years ago)
:facepalm:
I hope that they don't. How is it even gonna be regulated?
Stick to the main culture the country promotes, if you don't like it - go somewhere else.
Reply 5
How can you own something just because an unknown person who had the same skin colour as you came up with it hundreds of years ago?

As long as people don't falsely claim it's authentic, that's fine. I can buy a plastic boomerang if I want to confuse my dog (after a lot of practice) but if I want the real thing then I can buy that too.
Original post by Pastelx
I debated this issue at a Model UN conference this year (representing France) and it's an iffy issue, considering it is hard to tell what is an example of cultural appropriation and what is not.

It will be interesting what artefacts are therefore forced to be returned to their native countries e.g. The Elgin Marbles

The Elgin Marbles were given the British and are nice and safe in the British Museum for all to see.
Original post by Meany Pie
The Elgin Marbles were given the British and are nice and safe in the British Museum for all to see.

That's just not true.
Original post by mojojojo101
That's just not true.

Well they are nice and safe in the British Museum, for all to see.

They were not 'given'tothe British though, that's a complete lie.

As mojojojo101 said, they were not given to the British but taken by the British

France and Britain in particular have stolen multiple artefacts from other countries, partly due to their great empires in history. Although they are "safe" in these museums, many countries want these artefacts back
Original post by Pastelx
As mojojojo101 said, they were not given to the British but taken by the British

France and Britain in particular have stolen multiple artefacts from other countries, partly due to their great empires in history. Although they are "safe" in these museums, many countries want these artefacts back

Given, stolen, tomato, potato.

The main thing is they are safe.

True, I stole a cat from down the street, but I take care of her and feed her, so it's all good.
well that's stupid-cultural appropriation is just another thing sjws made up to be angry about because they know they're running out of material.
wouldn't stopping 'cultural appropriation' just distance people from other cultures? isn't that a bad thing? people from the culture of what people seem to 'appropriate' have actually been happy that other people embrace their culture, why does no one pay attention to that?

edit: and most the time it's the people not even from that culture who are mad?? can someone explain to me: who, from any culture that's being 'appropriated', actually cares (someone that isn't brainwashed by tumblr sjw rhetoric)?
(edited 6 years ago)

So stealing is okay if we take good care of the goods :rofl:

Better put some cases on these recently stolen iPhones. Just for good measure, I'll allow other people to use them too (everyone can enjoy them!), that'll justify the theft.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'll be sure to forewarn any white persons currently sporting dreadlocks that they'll soon be wearing them un-ironically.
Well back in the day the winners in battle were king and could take whatever, it's the artefacts originating countries fault for a having a bad army the way i see it. All these relics of the British Empire are trophies of their victories - ain't this diminishing the proof of this small country being a winner.

I find it stupid, as the people of Britain take pride in it - well at least some do.

Original post by mashbbk
So stealing is okay if we take good care of the goods :rofl:

Better put some cases on these recently stolen iPhones. Just for good measure, I'll allow other people to use them too (everyone can enjoy them!), that'll justify the theft.
This is hilarious and utterly moronic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Non black people with black hairstyles should get prosecuted for fashion crime, not cultural appropriation

Spoiler

I can just about tolerate SJW's posting about crap like this on Facebook, but I hope to god that this article is a joke and that it isn't seriously being considered by the UN. Doubt it would pass, anyway, since countries have little to gain from making 'appropriation' illegal.

Regardless, it's a bogus concept. A group of people do not have a monopoly over 'their' cultural norms and simply because they dislike others 'appropriating' it, nobody has any right to stop them from doing so. Prohibiting their actions would be a flagrant violation of personal liberty.

Imagine if it was applied conversely, and the West demanded that non-whites stopped producing and wearing business suits - the SJW crowd would be the first to call such a policy racist - double standards?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending