anthias
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, under language diversity and change in the 2nd paper of the AQA A2 exam, what does diversity refer to and what does change refer to?
I was given the impression diversity referred to theories on gender, dialect, sociolect and power and change just meant the history of the English Language?
ChefExxxcellence
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Diversity refers to gender, world english, local english and occupation.

Change refers to historical changes which come as a result of immigration, technology, education, etc.

There's quite a bit of crossover so thankfully for me, it's easier to revise, which is convenient because I ****ing suck at Language.
anthias
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ChefExxxcellence)

Change refers to historical changes which come as a result of immigration, technology, education, etc.

There's quite a bit of crossover so thankfully for me, it's easier to revise, which is convenient because I ****ing suck at Language.
Thank you! So does local English cover dialect and everything? Are there any occupational theorists?
ChefExxxcellence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anthias)
Thank you! So does local English cover dialect and everything? Are there any occupational theorists?
Not sure about occupational theorists. Local english is about dialects and similar things, such as Jafaikan, the use of borrowed terms in mainstream english, etc.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

My teacher set it out like this: basically in section A, they will ask you two questions, which you can choose from. Once question will be about diversity, one question will be about change.

Change questions include world English, diachronic language change and could potentially include diversity across the British Isles, as change has come about to cause this diversity. She said it's unlikely to have a question on accent and dialect and world English.

Whereas, diversity includes gender, occupation, social groups, etc., but could also include diversity across the British Isles as this is topic is very much synoptic.
ChefExxxcellence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amefish)
My teacher set it out like this: basically in section A, they will ask you two questions, which you can choose from. Once question will be about diversity, one question will be about change.

Change questions include world English, diachronic language change and could potentially include diversity across the British Isles, as change has come about to cause this diversity. She said it's unlikely to have a question on accent and dialect and world English.

Whereas, diversity includes gender, occupation, social groups, etc., but could also include diversity across the British Isles as this is topic is very much synoptic.
Cheers. What do you think would be easier to prepare for?
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cheers. What do you think would be easier to prepare for?
I think if you can you should try to prepare for all of them, just in case. Because they could come up in the opinion article question.

Pick out maybe a minimum of 3 topics, with a mix between change and diversity - to be on the safe side. Then, if the opinion article is about something you haven't really revised thoroughly, you have two texts about the topic to set you up and give you a good foundation to build on anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (122)
27.6%
1 (68)
15.38%
2 (67)
15.16%
3 (71)
16.06%
4 (33)
7.47%
5 (30)
6.79%