The Student Room Group

"A direct attack on the LGBTQ+ community"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenstrapagiel/lethbridge-pride?utm_term=.dfawJEYJY#.lckA4YR4R

How awful. We must those involved and send them to the BuzzFeed gulags.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodgypirate
https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenstrapagiel/lethbridge-pride?utm_term=.dfawJEYJY#.lckA4YR4R

How awful. We must those involved and send them to the BuzzFeed gulags.

Just need some traffic cameras :wink:
You realise in Germany anti-Semitic graffiti and vandalism against Jewish owned business precipitated the rise of Nazism?

Dismissing this as a joke is tantamount to supporting homophobic groups and action. I'll also point out it is personally offensive to gay people, including myself, for others to treat homophobic activity like this as a joke.

It is a direct attack on the LGBT* community and your response is an indirect attack on us all the same.
Not gonna give that piece of **** website any additional traffic.
Look, I get it, it's good to crack humour to diffuse tension in situations like this and that TSR likes to take everything for a joke. But I think what people are failing to realise is that people in the LGBTA+ are still incredibly vulnerable to the homophobes out there, the Pulse shootings last year in Orlando have proved that (even if the shooter himself was alleged to be gay), it's important to see the issues that are poignantly still apparent in our times. Times are not as progressive as perceived to be honest.
Who is this an attack against?

IMG_3567-0.jpg
OK, so I understood LGB, which is what it used to be a few years ago. It's since mushroomed to LGBTQ+ as in the title of the thread, and someone has used LGBTA+ in a post above :headfire:

Does anyone actually know what these acronyms mean?
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Asexual+ :smile: The Q stands for 'Queer' which is considered an umbrella term for all of those categories.
Original post by Reality Check
OK, so I understood LGB, which is what it used to be a few years ago. It's since mushroomed to LGBTQ+ as in the title of the thread, and someone has used LGBTA+ in a post above :headfire:

Reply 8

The acronyms have gone beyond the realm of sanity. In a BBC3 trailer for some TV show about sexuality, they used the following:

LGBTTQQIAAP

(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Ally, Asexual, Pansexual).

The only ones that really belong in there are LGBA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Asexual). None of the others have anything to do with sexuality and I never understood why they grouped trans people in there, and pansexuality isn't a thing.

--

As for the article, I mean the only thing I'm seeing here is that it's destroying public property which is a bit naff.
Original post by saharan_skies
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Asexual+ :smile: The Q stands for 'Queer' which is considered an umbrella term for all of those categories.

:smile: Thank you.

In exactly the same boat here.

What does the "+" mean?
Ok first one of the pictures just looks like cars driving over them, they are on crosswalks. This just proves this was made to get as much attention as possible as it has only happened like twice. Overexxageration on that part. Next, I don't see the point of ruining a rainbow crosswalk. What is going on with the world!!
Basically what @Inexorably described of all the different, more categories which I'm too lazy to list out :tongue:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
In exactly the same boat here.

What does the "+" mean?
Original post by WagnerZion
Who is this an attack against?

IMG_3567-0.jpg

Yeah to be fair Most of them are hypocrites. They attack important religious figures in a major way and are totally angry about a little crosswalk? I mean are they stupid! A small insignificant crosswalk compared to publicly hating on Jesus!! Come on people!! What do they expect, give respect to get respect.
Basically what @Inexorably described of all the different, more categories which I'm too lazy to list out :tongue:

Ahh, yeah I see! :tongue:

Original post by Inexorably
The acronyms have gone beyond the realm of sanity. In a BBC3 trailer for some TV show about sexuality, they used the following:

LGBTTQQIAAP

(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Ally, Asexual, Pansexual).

The only ones that really belong in there are LGBA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Asexual). None of the others have anything to do with sexuality and I never understood why they grouped trans people in there, and pansexuality isn't a thing.

--

As for the article, I mean the only thing I'm seeing here is that it's destroying public property which is a bit naff.

What do the last 6 mean? I've only heard of the first 5...

What does the "+" mean?

Those who identify as any inanimate/unbiological object i.e an attack helicopter
Original post by Parametric
Those who identify as any inanimate/unbiological object i.e an attack helicopter

I thought that was a gender? :beard:
Ahh, yeah I see! :tongue:

What do the last 6 mean? I've only heard of the first 5...

Questioning = Undecided on your sexuality
Ally = Friend of the LGB.. etc. community
Asexual = Experiencing no sexual attraction at all
Pansexual = It's basically bisexuality, but these people would instead say 'that sex is not important to them for sexual attraction and they can be sexually attracted to anyone' not realising that there are only two biological sexes, ergo bisexuality :tongue:
Queer = I mean this one I'm not so sure about either because there doesn't appear to be 1 standard, agreed definition and some people who are gay/bi/les still find queer offensive, but from what I can tell it basically means 'someone who is not heterosexual or cisgender'.
Intersex = If you've heard of the term hermaphrodite, that's basically what Intersex is. They don't fit exclusively into male/female because of differences in chromosomes or sexual organs usually.
I might be wrong but are LGBT people confused about their sexuality. Do they have a psychological mishap? Are they born this way or do they acquire it via a negative or "positive" experience.
Genuinely wanna know cos i wanna know: what makes people LGBT
I mean the vandalism is unnecessary but it's not that deep. Not like he's calling gays ******s. They should just charge the guy with vandalism or something and give him the usual punishments.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest