The Student Room Group

-

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jessika300599
In Year 12, I did something very silly and chose two subjects that I did not like just because they are "respected" subjects. I also chose two other subjects that I liked but are not as highly respected (psychology and maths).
Trying to force myself to be good at the two subjects I did not like led to me developing serious mental health issues and as a result, I have now dropped these two subjects and will only be finishing Year 13 with 2 A-levels.

I am wondering if it would be more worthwhile to do a whole A-level in a year next year whilst working part-time/volunteering, or going straight to university and doing a foundation course.
I already have an idea of which foundation course I would like to do and I think I would prefer that option, but I am worried that only having 2 A-levels will affect my future employment.

what is it you're wanting to study? did you get any as grades? Not many places will let you on a foundation course without 3 a levels but it's not impossible
Original post by claireestelle
what is it you're wanting to study? did you get any as grades? Not many places will let you on a foundation course without 3 a levels but it's not impossible

I want to do Psychology at university. I got AAD for as and I'm hoping to get AA with my current subjects.
I want to do Psychology at university. I got AAD for as and I'm hoping to get AA with my current subjects.

there might be options out there to do a foundation year, what two subjects are you studying?
there might be options out there to do a foundation year, what two subjects are you studying?

I'm studying Maths and Psychology at the moment. If I were to do a third A-level via distance learning next year, I'd probably do either Sociology or Philosophy but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
I'm studying Maths and Psychology at the moment. If I were to do a third A-level via distance learning next year, I'd probably do either Sociology or Philosophy but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

would you want to try and start this academic year with a foundation year? I've been able to find some foundation years you could do in extra. they may not still have places but at least you might find something in clearing in august.
(edited 6 years ago)
would you want to try and start this academic year with a foundation year? I've been able to find some foundation years you could do in extra. they may not still have places but at least you might find something in clearing in august.

If there are any with places available and would accept me, yes. If not, then I don't mind reapplying next year.
If there are any with places available and would accept me, yes. If not, then I don't mind reapplying next year.

Well from a quick look, and this will change come results day, i've found more than 5 universities that would take you with just two a levels, so you could try clearing for a foundation year on results day. If you do think you'd like to do this, it's best you apply for student finance now. You could try a late application for ucas extra right now if you wanted to.
Well from a quick look, and this will change come results day, i've found more than 5 universities that would take you with just two a levels, so you could try clearing for a foundation year on results day. If you do think you'd like to do this, it's best you apply for student finance now. You could try a late application for ucas extra right now if you wanted to.

I've already applied for student finance as I have university places for BSc Psychology which were dependent on 3 a-levels, so I obviously can't go to any of those now. Since I won't meet their conditions, could I just applying through clearing on my current ucas account?
I'd cut to the real **** and overthrow the ruling class.
I've already applied for student finance as I have university places for BSc Psychology which were dependent on 3 a-levels, so I obviously can't go to any of those now. Since I won't meet their conditions, could I just applying through clearing on my current ucas account?

Yes you can do after results day.

Quick Reply

Latest