Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondered if anyone does AS critical thinking and if so, what is it like and is it worth doing or a total waste of time? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Quite easy, not much (if any) preparation required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria D)
    Hi, just wondered if anyone does AS critical thinking and if so, what is it like and is it worth doing or a total waste of time? :confused:
    I did it....quite easy to prepare for, and it's a decent AS level to do. It is reasonably highly valued by unis, especially if you're applying for law. Interesting subject as well.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I did it....quite easy to prepare for, and it's a decent AS level to do. It is reasonably highly valued by unis, especially if you're applying for law. Interesting subject as well.

G
    I was thinking of taking it up but I don't think my college does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I was thinking of taking it up but I don't think my college does it.
    Our school made it a compulsory AS level to take up in U6 instead of doing the GS AS....i'm glad they did..GS is a complete waste of time and effort. CT is not however.

G

ReputationRep:
    Our school made it a compulsory AS level to take up in U6 instead of doing the GS AS....i'm glad they did..GS is a complete waste of time and effort. CT is not however.
    I'll take your word for it. Is it 'taught'? I just wondered if it can be done by reading books on it I could get the college to enter me into it. Bit risky though.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take your word for it. Is it 'taught'? I just wondered if it can be done by reading books on it I could get the college to enter me into it. Bit risky though.
    You can teach it to yourself just by reading a book. All that you'd need to do after that would be do some practice questions to get used to the question format.

Critical Thinking for Students by Roy van den Brink-Budgen is the best book imo. Tells you all you need to know.

G

ReputationRep:
    You can teach it to yourself just by reading a book. All that you'd need to do after that would be do some practice questions to get used to the question format.

Critical Thinking for Students by Roy van den Brink-Budgen is the best book imo. Tells you all you need to know.
    Thanks for that. Is there only one exam board who does this?

Would you think it's handy for those who have a 'jurisprudential mind'? j/w

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. Is there only one exam board who does this?

Would you think it's handy for those who have a 'jurisprudential mind'? j/w
    I think it's only on OCR.

I think it'd be handy for any law applicant because it develops the type of skills that would come in handy for a prospective lawyer, and also it could give you an edge when it comes to the LNAT

G

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it was easy. people in my class either "got it" or didn't. Those who did all got As

MB

ReputationRep:
    I think it's only on OCR.
    That's what I've heard. I will look into it now.

I think it'd be handy for any law applicant because it develops the type of skills that would come in handy for a prospective lawyer, and also it could give you an edge when it comes to the LNAT
    This is what I'm thinking. There are a few universities I have in mind which have the LNAT now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who's replied so far Why i asked about critical thinking is because i've just come back from college after discussing my bad AS level results (B,D,U,U). I am carrying on with eng lit and hist (the subjects i passed in). I have to pick up an AS though to complete the course. My college are only able to offer me critical thinking or i could retake my exams in biology and hopefully get an AS in that. Should i do both AS's in biology and critical thinking or just one? next year is my last year at college and after that i want to do a 3 year degree in primary teaching and to do that i need a minimum of 180 UCAS points from a minimum of 2 A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria D)
    Thanks to everyone who's replied so far Why i asked about critical thinking is because i've just come back from college after discussing my bad AS level results (B,D,U,U). I am carrying on with eng lit and hist (the subjects i passed in). I have to pick up an AS though to complete the course. My college are only able to offer me critical thinking or i could retake my exams in biology and hopefully get an AS in that. Should i do both AS's in biology and critical thinking or just one? next year is my last year at college and after that i want to do a 3 year degree in primary teaching and to do that i need a minimum of 180 UCAS points from a minimum of 2 A levels.
    You could always resit the biology in Jan....and hopefully bring up the grade...and then do CT in June? It really doesn't take that much effort or time to complete the course....just make sure you read the book and do practice questions.

G

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't take that much effort or time to complete the course....just make sure you read the book and do practice questions.
    How much time did you spend? What about other people? Questions like these are rather subjective on this note. Just I don't wish to overload myself with my resits and do two new subjects as well

ReputationRep:
    How much time did you spend? What about other people? Questions like these are rather subjective on this note. Just I don't wish to overload myself with my resits and do two new subjects as well
    Well..we had about 3 months of one double lesson a week on it..but in actual fact..it was less than that. Also....all they did was read through the book to you...so i read the book cover to cover in about 2 days over christmas. Really..it's not too hard. It's jsut getting used to the questions.

G

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.