The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances/extenuating circumstances ASAP!

Hi there. I sat the Business Paper 1 A Level on the 12th of June, but was admitted into hospital all the way till the 17th, I had to undego surgery to my left arm due to excessive abscess and clots, and my next Business Paper 2 is on the 19th, do I force myself to go as I am not feeling too good, or apply for mitigating circumstances, and if I do, would it work out? Help!
(edited 6 years ago)
Your best course of action is to telephone your school/email your exams officer. If you can't get hold of them I'd contact your exam board directly and apply for it. If you have sufficient evidence eg. A doctor's note, paperwork from hospital etc. There shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't give you special consideration.
Reply 2
Do both - apply for extenuating circumstances but definitely go to the exam.

The exams officer at my school says they're more likely to look favourably if you made an effort to sit the exam, even if you can't finish it (obviously not if you are too ill).

I'd say go in and give it your best shot, and make sure you tell the exam board and any uni you are applying to about your circumstances.

Good luck on your exam and I hope you feel better soon <3
Original post by therealhanad12
Hi there. I sat the Business Paper 1 A Level on the 12th of June, but was admitted into hospital all the way till the 17th, I had to undego surgery to my left arm due to excessive abscess and clots, and my next Business Paper 2 is on the 19th, do I force myself to go as I am not feeling too good, or apply for mitigating circumstances, and if I do, would it work out? Help!

Do as the other two suggested and get in contact with your exam officer. Your parent could do it or contact the headmaster.

The thing you apply for is called special consideration and will get you 1-5% if acpeted.

The other option is not to sit the exam at all and ask them to mark it based on what you have already sat. This would make more sense if you felt you were going to perform poorly. they will only mark you on this basis if you have sit at least 40% of the exams. i.e if there were 2 exams, then thats 50% for one, but 3 would mean 1 sat = 33% or however many of the marks there are. One paper wouldnt be enough in that case.

There are certain exception to this rule, so check with the exam officer. If it applies to you, then I would save myself the exam if I felt my performance in paper 1 was good and performance in paper 2 might be poor.
Reply 4
No point contacting the board but contact your school as soon as possible. There are various options available (miss it, take it in hospital, take it at home, take it at school...and for all of these they could claim special consideration) but they're best dealt with between you and the Exams officer at your centre.

Quick Reply

Latest