Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I be settled down by now? Watch

I'm a 26 year-old girl and almost the only one in my group of friends who's not 'settled down', so to speak.

My other female friends of the same age are in long-term stable relationships, living with their partners, lived in the same area for a while, 1 has a baby the others are trying for babies, 1 married and some hoping to get engaged soon.

I have been single for a couple of years, I don't own a home or a car, I completed my Masters last year and I've spent a few years living abroad. I came back to the UK a couple of months ago as things didn't work out in this country, but I'm hoping to try somewhere else.

It doesn't meant I want to stay there for life, but I feel that I'm very young, I'm unattached and that this is my opportunity to explore the world. Sometimes I feel a bit like my friends judge me and see me as immature compared to them because I'm not settled down, a homeowner in a relationship etc.

But I'm content like this and I know I have more freedom than they do. I think we've got our whole lives to settle in one place, and I refuse to desperately try and find a partner and start to plan my future just because society tells me I should.

Has anyone else ever felt like this? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to force yourself to do something rash just cause everyone else is doing it. Go with what suits you and everything else will fall in place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a 26 year-old girl and almost the only one in my group of friends who's not 'settled down', so to speak.

My other female friends of the same age are in long-term stable relationships, living with their partners, lived in the same area for a while, 1 has a baby the others are trying for babies, 1 married and some hoping to get engaged soon.

I have been single for a couple of years, I don't own a home or a car, I completed my Masters last year and I've spent a few years living abroad. I came back to the UK a couple of months ago as things didn't work out in this country, but I'm hoping to try somewhere else.

It doesn't meant I want to stay there for life, but I feel that I'm very young, I'm unattached and that this is my opportunity to explore the world. Sometimes I feel a bit like my friends judge me and see me as immature compared to them because I'm not settled down, a homeowner in a relationship etc.

But I'm content like this and I know I have more freedom than they do. I think we've got our whole lives to settle in one place, and I refuse to desperately try and find a partner and start to plan my future just because society tells me I should.

Has anyone else ever felt like this? Thanks
    No.

There's no set time in which one needs to settle other than what they feel is right for them. It doesn't matter if society or their closest friends deem it appropriate to be settled at 22 or 57, at the end of the day it is down to the individual to make that decision for themselves.

Quite clearly you have a life that is busy and full of amazingly wonderful opportunity. You've only just finished your Masters and have experience a life which most could only dream of (IE. Living abroad). At the age of 26, not having a home is pretty much the norm, though I'd say getting a car would be ideal at this point.

You said it yourself; you are content, you have freedom. Enjoy it. When you are ready, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care so much about what they think? Just do whatever makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position to you. I've been single for a long time, still studying at age 25 with no end in sight yet and several years left until I'll even earn a stable income to pay for a car, house etc. I highly doubt I'll meet a potential partner until I'm at least 30, and won't end up settling down until 40. I've already accepted that's how my life will turn out - even if I wanted to meet someone earlier than that, it's impossible while I'm going through an endless cycle of rejection from one girl after the next. But I use the state of my life as motivation to go out, keep meeting new people, enjoy myself and continue doing things that most girls would not be happy with. I want to work, teach students, go clubbing and get smashed, keep travelling to new countries and appearing in more films. No girl would support me doing the things I enjoy, so I try my best to make the most of being a single man while I still have time. Even though most of my friends from school, college, uni are now married and settling down, I like to think I'm leading a more fulfilling life than them. I've sacrificed a lot in pursuit of my career and hobbies, so who cares if I reach lifetime events years later than everyone else? I certainly don't. I've cut a lot of people loose and hope I never see them again. I'm a firm believer in the underdog - hard work, struggle and commitment = rewards much later on.

ReputationRep:
    What country did you go to? Life is your own journey not something you have to look to others to see what they are doing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.