Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

History or English lit degree for primary school teaching? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am almost done with my AS year and am now looking to begin writing my personal statement. I am not completely sure whether it is history or English I want to study. I'm hoping to get into the University of Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you do a Primary Teaching undergrad degree to teach primary? If you're looking to do a degree first and then do a postgrad in teaching for whatever reason, I don't think it'd matter what your first degree was as long as it was relatively academic (which both of those are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catherineoxley12)
    Don't you do a Primary Teaching undergrad degree to teach primary? If you're looking to do a degree first and then do a postgrad in teaching for whatever reason, I don't think it'd matter what your first degree was as long as it was relatively academic (which both of those are).
    Yes, I'm leaning towards getting my degree then taking a PGCE. I guess both subjects would work but I am not sure how to go about picking one. I enjoy English but I'm not sure I could keep up with the reading and likewise I enjoy history but I'm not completely certain about it.

ReputationRep:
    I do a joint honours degree in English and History and I plan to do a PGCE as well. This is an option worth looking into and the great thing about it is that you can teach both subjects. With primary, it doesn't really matter what degree you do, although I do believe schools are more likely to hire someone who has an academic degree like English, law, psychology over someone who did sports science or art. The important thing is that you get a 2:1 in your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    I do a joint honours degree in English and History and I plan to do a PGCE as well. This is an option worth looking into and the great thing about it is that you can teach both subjects. With primary, it doesn't really matter what degree you do, although I do believe schools are more likely to hire someone who has an academic degree like English, law, psychology over someone who did sports science or art. The important thing is that you get a 2:1 in your degree.
    How do you find taking a joint honors? Which subject do you love more/more challenging? etc etc. I was looking into it but not sure if I could manage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsaaliyaa)
    How do you find taking a joint honors? Which subject do you love more/more challenging? etc etc. I was looking into it but not sure if I could manage.
    Joint honours is a tiny bit more difficult in that assignment deadlines are often due on the same day whereas single honours have their assignments more spread out.

I like both subjects equally though I am doing a history dissertation instead of English. It is definitely a unique experience to be able to study two subjects that connect so well with each other.

In my English classes, I have a slight advantage over single honour students in that I will know more history of a certain issue than them. For example, in my American literature classes, most of the lectures were talking about American history. I had taken an American history module on my history side and the lecturer was saying everything that I already knew.

It felt good to not have to write anything whilst everyone else was desperately scribbling to get all the info.

I have enjoyed studying English and History. I think you will enjoy it if you have an equal passion for both subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    Joint honours is a tiny bit more difficult in that assignment deadlines are often due on the same day whereas single honours have their assignments more spread out.

I like both subjects equally though I am doing a history dissertation instead of English. It is definitely a unique experience to be able to study two subjects that connect so well with each other.

In my English classes, I have a slight advantage over single honour students in that I will know more history of a certain issue than them. For example, in my American literature classes, most of the lectures were talking about American history. I had taken an American history module on my history side and the lecturer was saying everything that I already knew.

It felt good to not have to write anything whilst everyone else was desperately scribbling to get all the info.

I have enjoyed studying English and History. I think you will enjoy it if you have an equal passion for both subjects.
    Do you know if UOB offer any taster events?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsaaliyaa)
    Do you know if UOB offer any taster events?
    Most universities do offer taster days. Go to the link of the department of the course you are interested in on the university website, and see if they have any information about taster days.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.