Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working at an A grade in listening, reading and oral and an A* for writing. What is the workload like? is it worthwhile and enjoyable, and how big is the jump from GCSE?

Also, would Spanish be too much work in combination with Geography, Psycology and Biology? thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadat4198)
    I'm currently working at an A grade in listening, reading and oral and an A* for writing. What is the workload like? is it worthwhile and enjoyable, and how big is the jump from GCSE?

Also, would Spanish be too much work in combination with Geography, Psycology and Biology? thank you in advance
    I do A Level Spanish with AQA, and I love it. The topics you cover are way more interesting, and delve into the political and social life of Spanish speaking countries, and learning about a book and a film in Spanish further educates you on what Spain/other Hispanic countries are like. It's an incredibly worthwhile A Level - you see your level of fluency jump up substantially from GCSE. The jump from GCSE, to me, wasn't as bad as people made it out to be - make sure you understand the topics, and ask your teacher for further explanations if you are stuck, and then hey presto - you're fine. If you're getting A/A* grades at GCSE I can't imagine you struggling, unless you are getting these grades simply from learning Spanish by memory and not actually appreciating when/why you use different tenses, prepositions, etc.

The good thing about A Level languages is that they go with absolutely any other A Levels - in my Spanish class of 5, we have some doing History, some doing English, one doing Maths, one doing Art, one doing Physics - however, it may be quite a workload if you do 4 A Levels, with one being Spanish. Might I suggest dropping one of your other 3, to show the breadth of your strengths?

ReputationRep:
    My honest opinion, having finished the two year course is that the workload was too much. Unless you prioritise spanish over your other subjects it was impossible to manage. The grammar isn't too challenging but applying it and using it is. Topics were meh the film was good. It just depends on your effort to the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I can't lie. The workload is a lot if you want to get the top grades at AS, because the jump can be quite big in terms of the grammar you need to learn. If you do it at A Level I recommend you ask if you can spend a week at a language school somewhere in Spain. I went to Salamanca in Feb and it was probably the most useful week I've had during A Levels. And now I've got my A2 exam on Thursday

Good luck to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadat4198)

I just finished my AS year of Spanish and I loved it so much! I took it with Geography and Psychology and it was definitely my most challenging subject but also my favourite. It is quite a step up from GCSE in terms of having to know grammar points etc but honestly the grammar wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. The topics are also so much better than at GCSE as you learn about the culture and history of Spain as well as reading books and watching films which is so much more enjoyable.
    I'd say my main thing to say about Spanish is that for me, the lessons seemed relatively okay in terms of difficulty but the exams were really difficult. I'd say if you took it you should put lots of time and effort into your speaking and writing exams as these are easiest to prepare for but the main paper is generally hard to prepare for and quite hard.

I would 100% say that it is worth it though, and after this year I'm thinking of studying Spanish at Uni which shows how good it has been

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_malis)
    I can't lie. The workload is a lot if you want to get the top grades at AS, because the jump can be quite big in terms of the grammar you need to learn. If you do it at A Level I recommend you ask if you can spend a week at a language school somewhere in Spain. I went to Salamanca in Feb and it was probably the most useful week I've had during A Levels. And now I've got my A2 exam on Thursday

Good luck to me.
    Good luck on Thursday! I'm going for my language school week in Malaga soon.. I've got to go after my exam though! It's going to be nice doing some Spanish for fun again though. I havent really enjoyed the ALevel because I have been doing an access course too. The workload has been insane... I say the AS exam this year too so it's been a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.