Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Biomedical Science and Biochemistry dilemma Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to study biomedical science preferably or biochemistry, I have never thought about studying medicine.

However I am worried about the job prospects and accreditation. To work in an NHS lab as a biomedical scientist (what I really want to do) you have to have a degree accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences. The problem is all "good" universities with a high reputation are not accredited. For example Oxford, Imperial and Kings College are not accredited! Only lower universities are such as London Met and Cardiff Met etc. I don't want to go to a low down university as I am hoping to get AAA/A*AA.

Would I be at a disadvantage if my course was not accredited? Anybody with an experience in trying to get accredited? I don't fancy doing extra modules and things.

Studying for a phd seems expensive and jobs are very competitive. So I don't want to do further studying either. What should I do? Could I get a job with a Biomedical science degree and no accreditation?

Advice please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    I want to study biomedical science preferably or biochemistry, I have never thought about studying medicine.

However I am worried about the job prospects and accreditation. To work in an NHS lab as a biomedical scientist (what I really want to do) you have to have a degree accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences. The problem is all "good" universities with a high reputation are not accredited. For example Oxford, Imperial and Kings College are not accredited! Only lower universities are such as London Met and Cardiff Met etc. I don't want to go to a low down university as I am hoping to get AAA/A*AA.

Would I be at a disadvantage if my course was not accredited? Anybody with an experience in trying to get accredited? I don't fancy doing extra modules and things.

Studying for a phd seems expensive and jobs are very competitive. So I don't want to do further studying either. What should I do? Could I get a job with a Biomedical science degree and no accreditation?

Advice please
    The more prestigious universities have courses that are more research orientated. That's just how it works.

You get paid for doing a PhD so don't know why you think its "expensive". Paid very poorly, but still. Competition depends on a number of factors.

I do not know much about this area specifically but i cannot imagine its very hard to convert your research degree to being an NHS biomedical scientist. Is the NHS website not useful?

Edit: This says to contact them for instance https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...terests-needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The more prestigious universities have courses that are more research orientated. That's just how it works.

You get paid for doing a PhD so don't know why you think its "expensive". Paid very poorly, but still. Competition depends on a number of factors.

I do not know much about this area specifically but i cannot imagine its very hard to convert your research degree to being an NHS biomedical scientist. Is the NHS website not useful?

Edit: This says to contact them for instance https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...terests-needed
    Thanks for replying. I was just wondering about how you get paid to do a PhD. Do you still have to pay tuition fees or do the university pay for them? So is it a case of studying for free as in you don't pay your tuition fee or do you actually get a proper salary for doing a PhD? Or is is a sponsorship from an outside company?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to explore all my options. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    Thanks for replying. I was just wondering about how you get paid to do a PhD. Do you still have to pay tuition fees or do the university pay for them? So is it a case of studying for free as in you don't pay your tuition fee or do you actually get a proper salary for doing a PhD? Or is is a sponsorship from an outside company
    It does depend, but most medical science PhDs in the UK are paid yes, usually something like £14k-£16k per year tax free. You are working for the university, and the university has full claim over anything you discover, so that makes sense. Generally the money comes from a research fund courtesy of either the government or a charity.

That's about the limit of my knowledge. I do not know how getting this money works nor how getting into private sector research e.g. in big pharma, compares.

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.