Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Basically, went to a Bristol open day yesterday, all the courses i thought I'd like ended up seeming extremely boring. But I went with my friend to a law lecture and it was soo interesting.

What I was going to ask was how law limiting is as a degree. Do you just end up being a solicitor or judge? Also what's it like at Bristol.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Law isn't limiting as a degree unless you want to become an engineer or a doctor. Most if not all graduate employers recruit from all degrees, having a law degree may put you in an advantageous position when applying for training contracts to become a solicitor or barrister. If you want to go into financial services, or banking having a law degree is NOT a disadvantage. I know many people who have done law degrees that are now Investment Bankers, Auditors, Consultants etc.

I finished my degree at Bristol 2 years ago, where I studied Economics and Maths, the city is amazing. Very good night life, facilities, etc. The law building and library (Wills Memorial) is fantastic, hopefully you got a tour of that building. As a fresher, there are alot of societies to access, alot of club nights etc. Sport is pretty good too, inter-society or University sports teams etc. The food scene is getting even better, new restaurants (not chains). If you have any specific questions, i'll try to answer as best as i can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hendyrix)
    Hi

Basically, went to a Bristol open day yesterday, all the courses i thought I'd like ended up seeming extremely boring. But I went with my friend to a law lecture and it was soo interesting.

What I was going to ask was how law limiting is as a degree. Do you just end up being a solicitor or judge? Also what's it like at Bristol.

Thanks
    I'm not qualified to speak on the Bristol side of things, but a Law degree will open all the doors as any humanity degree would (even some in academia, in, say, criminology or sociology), plus act as a qualifier for the legal profession. This means that everything from finance to consultancy to HR and admin positions (i.e. nothing that requires hard, usually quantitative skills) is open.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.