Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Work Experience Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. Is working in a dentist class as appropriate work experience for Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    You need to be in a care facility such as care homes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do you mean by this work?

It could be valuable if your job involves helping patients and a chance to talk to the staff about what their jobs are like. You could use it to demonstrate that you understand the realities of working in healthcare, and to gather examples of situations when you've e.g. been empathetic when talking to patients.

If it mainly involves mundane paperwork or shadowing procedures then I perhaps wouldn't bother. If you did these things in a medical environment you could at least use them to demonstrate your commitment to medicine but you wouldn't be able to do even that with a dentistry placement.

If you decide to do this dentistry thing you should still get some experience in a more medical environment. Long-term volunteering at somewhere like a care home or hospital is pretty essential, and most people have also done some shadowing in hospitals and GP practices.

ReputationRep:
    I would be with the dentist. Sitting with the dentist and talking to patients etc. The thing is my dad won't let me go to a care home. He thinks it's a waste of time. I've tried to convince him. He thinks work experience is a waste of time. But I convinced him on the dentist one but he's s adamant about care homes I'm trying to apply for hospital buts it's so busy with the amount of students applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GulfamChoudhary)
    The thing is my dad won't let me go to a care home. He thinks it's a waste of time. I've tried to convince him. He thinks work experience is a waste of time.
    Lol what!? Work experience is vital for your application and important in making the final decision of whether medicine is the right path for you. And imo care home volunteering is pretty much as useful as it gets. If I were you I'd explain to him why you disagree and apply to care homes anyway.

Anyway, it sounds like the dentist experience would be better than nothing. The most important thing with work experience is to reflect well on what you've seen. Be prepared to explain to your interviewers why you have dentistry experience but are applying for medicine though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Lol what!? Work experience is vital for your application and important in making the final decision of whether medicine is the right path for you. And imo care home volunteering is pretty much as useful as it gets. If I were you I'd explain to him why you disagree and apply to care homes anyway.

Anyway, it sounds like the dentist experience would be better than nothing. The most important thing with work experience is to reflect well on what you've seen. Be prepared to explain to your interviewers why you have dentistry experience but are applying for medicine though.
    OK. What points could 8 say to them. I wish I could do it in a care home but my dad's adamant. Thus us the only sort of work experience I've got. Aswell as working in specsavers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GulfamChoudhary)
    OK. What points could 8 say to them. I wish I could do it in a care home but my dad's adamant. Thus us the only sort of work experience I've got. Aswell as working in specsavers
    Tell him that unis expect long-term volunteering in a caring environment. Volunteering in a care home is e.g. given as the first example of useful work experience on here. The vast majority of applicants have done something similar so you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't have that to talk about during your interviews. You can be sure that interviewers will ask about your experiences and volunteering provides you with lots of material both for questions about the realities of working in healthcare and questions about your personal suitability for a career in healthcare.

You could also tell him that volunteering would help you decide whether caring for people is something you want to do for the rest of your life - applying for medicine is a pretty big decision and it's not a path suitable for everybody. My experiences in volunteering made me much more confident about wanting to do medicine instead of something more "abstract", but some people find that the caring profession is not for them - it's good to realise this now instead of when you've already wasted six years and tens of thousands of pounds in a medical education.

To be honest though, even if your dad still disagrees, I think this would be a good time to learn how to stand up for yourself and make your own decisions. I mean, we're talking about volunteering a bit of your time to a valuable cause in order to make a more informed decision about your future here, not something like abandoning your education to become a rock star for crying out loud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Tell him that unis expect long-term volunteering in a caring environment. Volunteering in a care home is e.g. given as the first example of useful work experience on here. The vast majority of applicants have done something similar so you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't have that to talk about during your interviews. You can be sure that interviewers will ask about your experiences and volunteering provides you with lots of material both for questions about the realities of working in healthcare and questions about your personal suitability for a career in healthcare.

You could also tell him that volunteering would help you decide whether caring for people is something you want to do for the rest of your life - applying for medicine is a pretty big decision and it's not a path suitable for everybody. My experiences in volunteering made me much more confident about wanting to do medicine instead of something more "abstract", but some people find that the caring profession is not for them - it's good to realise this now instead of when you've already wasted six years and tens of thousands of pounds in a medical education.

To be honest though, even if your dad still disagrees, I think this would be a good time to learn how to stand up for yourself and make your own decisions. I mean, we're talking about volunteering a bit of your time to a valuable cause in order to make a more informed decision about your future here, not something like abandoning your education to become a rock star for crying out loud.
    I'll try to He's pretty adament though

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.