Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Awful GCSE's, Amazing A-levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if you applied to a top university, who usually consider your GCSE results, with absolutely awful GCSE's (6 c/b's) but amazing a-levels? (3/4 a*'s) and a killer personal statement n work experience etc etc? i'm thinking about lse in particular
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbie559)
    What would happen if you applied to a top university, who usually consider your GCSE results, with absolutely awful GCSE's (6 c/b's) but amazing a-levels? (3/4 a*'s) and a killer personal statement n work experience etc etc? i'm thinking about lse in particular
    It's still possible to make it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You're in a very strong position. This sort of question has been repeatedly asked and answered on the Cambridge Admissions Tutors threads - a good A level performance following a mediocre one at GCSE is a sign of progress and is really encouraging. Conversely, a poor/mediocre A level showing following stellar GCSEs suggests that the candidate struggles with higher level work and is a huge red flag.

So basically go for it - you're in a very strong position and can turn it to your advantage.

ReputationRep:
    LSE depends what subject. You need at least 4-5 A* - A for LSE. They are one of the most GCSE heavy unis out there. Unless you have extenuating circumstances I honestly think you would still struggle.

Put it this way. Cambridge are more forgiving and understand people will improve. You would be more likely to gain a place at cambridge then at LSE. Similarly, I hear Oxford is GCSE heavy too.

ReputationRep:
    That was my situation exactly, i got poor GCSE's, then 3A*s at a Level, with AAAAA at AS, I got offers from LSE, Bristol, Manchester - but rejected from Warwick and Durham

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is probably the most likely uni to reject you without interview, depending on your school's 'prestige' - i.e. how many people do better than you. Cambridge are less likely to care, but other than that, with those A-levels you should be set for anywhere. You only need C's at GCSE in English, Maths and Science for most Uni's, but it's worth checking the course requirements.

LSE have said this: "LSE does not recognise the validity of this calculator as it is not sophisticated enough to process the full range of information that we use in our holistic undergraduate admissions process." about a UCAS offer rate calculator, so it's fair to assume that they will definitely consider your whole application and GCSEs are not often a big part as it is a different learning environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by te159311)
    That was my situation exactly, i got poor GCSE's, then 3A*s at a Level, with AAAAA at AS, I got offers from LSE, Bristol, Manchester - but rejected from Warwick and Durham
    This makes me feel better. What subject did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaqenH'gar)
    LSE depends what subject. You need at least 4-5 A* - A for LSE. They are one of the most GCSE heavy unis out there. Unless you have extenuating circumstances I honestly think you would still struggle.

Put it this way. Cambridge are more forgiving and understand people will improve. You would be more likely to gain a place at cambridge then at LSE. Similarly, I hear Oxford is GCSE heavy too.
    What would you say about politics or history?

ReputationRep:
    For me the opposite seems to have been the case: awful A levels, amazing GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Poldark)
    For me the opposite seems to have been the case: awful A levels, amazing GCSEs.
    What were your results? How was applying for uni?

ReputationRep:
    At LSE, I know those subjects would have fewer applicants per place, relative to Law or Economics. So I would say, assuming you can achieve those grades and similar AS levels (im not sure how the system works these days, do they still award AS's?). Nonetheless, your goal is achievable. If a good friend of mine who also got poor GCSE's then achieving an AAB managed to get into an LSE course (Maths and something, cant remember) then you have a good chance, its worth mentioning this person started university in 2013.

ReputationRep:
    What were your results? How was applying for uni?
    My AS results were mostly Cs but my GCSEs were mostly As. I have got the offers I wanted though and I think my personal statement helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Poldark)
    My AS results were mostly Cs but my GCSEs were mostly As. I have got the offers I wanted though and I think my personal statement helped.
    Good for you, and I hope you get the best grades you can in a few months time

ReputationRep:
    Personal Statement will help a lot ofc. And your results show progression so that is good.

What subject are you applying for? LSE are known to discriminate based on GCSEs and they advise that you have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades) (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...y-Requirements)

For competitive courses, your GCSEs are going to weigh you down, possibly being the difference between an offer and a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Good for you, and I hope you get the best grades you can in a few months time
    Thank you. Fingers crossed .

ReputationRep:
    Government at LSE is a lot less competitive so yeah go for it. Same for history, maybe not econ history though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ganache)
    Personal Statement will help a lot ofc. And your results show progression so that is good.

What subject are you applying for? LSE are known to discriminate based on GCSEs and they advise that you have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades) (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...y-Requirements)

For competitive courses, your GCSEs are going to weigh you down, possibly being the difference between an offer and a rejection.
    Politics or history, not sure yet

ReputationRep:
    well those are less competitive so you should be fine I think.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, you got a chance, you progressed, cambridge could let you in

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually have 3 A*? Because if you do youll be fine. If you dont have those grades yet you should take a year out and reapply.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.