Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How safe are theme parks? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know its like a rare chance to get injured on rides, but the amount of horror stories you hear are on the increase- are theme parks still safe to attend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillyteewee)
    I know its like a rare chance to get injured on rides, but the amount of horror stories you hear are on the increase- are theme parks still safe to attend?
    You're far more likely to be killed in car crash en route to the theme park than you are to be injured on a ride.

Relative and absolute risk...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillyteewee)
    Yes, there is a risk. Once I calculated it as losing about a second of life expectancy per ride. But guess what? All that time you spend in the queue standing up probably boosts your life expectancy by more than a second.

Because of the perceived risks, the amusements industry operates to a very high safety standard. The safety restraints on rides are usually overkill (like full-on shoulder harnesses on a small-ish ride), and the whole system is designed so that if something fails, the ride stops safely.

Enjoy your ride

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you have more chance of dying on a carousel than on a theme park ride, because they test the rides for hours before the park opens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You're far more likely to be killed in car crash en route to the theme park
    Jesus...

ReputationRep:
    I almost drowned once at WaterWorld. My mum was like 20 stone and I was 7 and small and she came down the waterslide and landed while I was doggy paddling to get out the pool. I was legit underwater underneath her for like 20 seconds, the lifeguard had to get me. Proper embarrassing for a bit :toofunny: cos I made mates while I was there obvs and that wasn't a cool look at all. My mum didn't even apologise...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Your legs are safe, don't worry. Chances of anything bad happening are extremely rare.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.