Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Any other girls who don't take hormonal contraception? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly 21 and on the pill since I was 14 due to horrible menstrual cramps. Lately, I began to suffer more and more mood wise, so I switched to another kind of pill (Seasonique) which helped a bit, but my boobs got so sore I got to stop.

Then my doc put me in the Nuvaring, but I feel HORRIBLE on it. So depressed. Sometimes almost suicidal.

When I talked about my GP and Gynecologist about stopping they were both very shocked. Like it's not a normal thing to do for young women/girls my age.

Am I really the only one not popping hormones?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura210)
    I'm nearly 21 and on the pill since I was 14 due to horrible menstrual cramps. Lately, I began to suffer more and more mood wise, so I switched to another kind of pill (Seasonique) which helped a bit, but my boobs got so sore I got to stop.

Then my doc put me in the Nuvaring, but I feel HORRIBLE on it. So depressed. Sometimes almost suicidal.

When I talked about my GP and Gynecologist about stopping they were both very shocked. Like it's not a normal thing to do for young women/girls my age.

Am I really the only one not popping hormones?
    I stopped taking it at 20, no hormone in a pill seemed to work for me. At least this way I know when to expect periods

ReputationRep:
    It's just a pretty common and easy way to have protection. Some girls do come off of pills, majority who do get a different kind of contraception, I know quite a few girls using implants rather than pills.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes. 'About' two-thirds of women aged 20–24 use one or other form, but that leaves lots who do not.

The implant is hormonal contraception too, just at a lower level than most others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Yes. 'About' two-thirds of women aged 20–24 use one or other form, but that leaves lots who do not.

The implant is hormonal contraception too, just at a lower level than most others.

I find Mirena and the implant a bit to invasive if you get what I mean. Especially since I don't tend to react very well to hormones, it's quite a hassle to get it out.

My point was that my GP was shocked at the fact I told her I was thinking about having sex with just condoms.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura210)
    My point was that my GP was shocked at the fact I told her I was thinking about having sex with just condoms.
    Because - in the UK - you need a prescription to get the pill, they're going to talk about contraception to more women who are using it. Many of the women who aren't are not going to be having the conversation with their GP. You don't need a prescription for condoms (or indeed the assorted 'natural' methods), and there are better sources for them than GPs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.