Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

do law firms verify degree qualifications and individual grades Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,

this question is aimed at those who have got a training contract and those who are currently looking for a training contract

my question is do law firms verify you law degree qualification (i.e. the classification and individual subject grades) by approaching the university you studied at, or just rely on the paperwork you provide them?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theanonymousone1)
    hi guys,

this question is aimed at those who have got a training contract and those who are currently looking for a training contract

my question is do law firms verify you law degree qualification (i.e. the classification and individual subject grades) by approaching the university you studied at, or just rely on the paperwork you provide them?

thanks.
    Depends on the firm's policy.

Those who ask for an academic reference will ask for verification of your grades (usually including module results).

And even if that isn't the case, many will ask for a formal transcript/degree certificate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    , or just rely on the paperwork you provide them?

thanks.
    Law firms tend to be good at checking details and ascertaining facts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Law firms tend to be good at checking details and ascertaining facts...
    Very true, and if it becomes obvious you have mislead or lied about your qualifications or grades, your integrity is automatically questioned and therefore you will be deemed unfit to practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My firm (city firm) asked me to provide an original transcript and original degree certificate before starting my TC.

I don't think they actually approached the university. Though some firms may well do this. But I do think they approached my academic reference. Most firms engage a third party company who will verify the details/grades on your CV.

I also had to provide an original transcript and certificate when moving to a different firm after qualification.

hi guys,

thanks.
    What paperwork?

Why would there be an issue as to whether they contacted your uni or not?

ReputationRep:
    thank you all for your responses,

So it is down to the law firm. what if i lie about some of my individual grades and the law firm finds out during the application process, can they report me to the SRA and what are the chances of me defending myself by saying it was a simple typo error.

ReputationRep:

So it is down to the law firm. what if i lie about some of my individual grades and the law firm finds out during the application process, can they report me to the SRA and what are the chances of me defending myself by saying it was a simple typo error.
    Any offer is likely to be retracted if you are found out to be lying.

Good luck trying to suggest it was just a typo. I've retracted an offer when someone suggested this was the reason across multiple modules. You might get away with it if it was 1 module and one percentage point difference, but otherwise it just looks dodgy. It sounds like you need to lie across a number of different subjects so you are going to have little chance.

You could easily be reported to the SRA too. You might want to read this:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/28/lawyer...-a-21-5648561/

You are going into a career where integrity is at the core of what you do. Any hint of deception/fraud and your chances of being able to proceed in the profession will be severely hampered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The only thing that I would add to J-SP's post is that any claim of a 'typo' will look even more suspicious if, for example, it happened to be on the one module that you did worst in or didn't secure a certain grade in. Any amendment may well be of limited importance anyway unless your talking about an amendment that would alter your entire degree classification, which you would obviously be unlikely to get away with in the long run.

Honestly, I don't see why you would even contemplate taking such a potentially career ending risk.

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.