Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Heatwave during exams... Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Most institutions have aircon. You should be ok as long as you don't go in wearing your Christmas jumper and long johns.
    • Very Important Poster

You can apply under special consideration if you have the support of the school, but I believe people have sat exams when its been warm before. so you might have to be stoic.

If you have a 2 hour commute then get there early or even the night before or take things to keep you cool. They may have some fans. They may have water available. You cna check if you are allowed to take a drink in and my tip would be to freeze a drink in the freezer over night and then it can defrost in the exam room. I think thats what i did in the past, although I never applied for SC..
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinkx Monsoon)
    I figured as much! Just thought I'd unearth the truth. Doesn't hurt to ask!

If "local Jinkx Monsoon becomes puddle in exam hall" is on the news in the next week, you know to close my account.
    Lol, somebody will then also be cleaning you up off the floor.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boriapple)
    It's not A*, but passing grade or predicted grade I think.
    Ohh ok. It would be better if they gave an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    No, that's if someone dies in the exam hall.
    I mean if someone melts in an exam hall it's pretty safe to say they're dead...

ReputationRep:
    Lol the UK gets a little heat and everyone panics.

Heatwaves are common during this time of the year and hopefully your exam hall is properly ventilated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
    I mean if someone melts in an exam hall it's pretty safe to say they're dead...
    :rofl: Very good.

ReputationRep:
    My current school has AC, but I would reco taking a big bottle of water with ice cubes and tissues to mop sweat... There's nothing worse than getting sweat on an exam paper
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boriapple)
    It's not A*, but passing grade or predicted grade I think.
    I think it's predictive grade. My friends and I had a pact on Friday's A2 Edexcel history exam that if a certain essay question came up we would synchronize our tears until the hall was flooded and hope they take pity on us and give us our predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    Drink water slowly.. Make sure you use the bathroom before as otherwise you might have to make an awkward plea for the bathroom during the exam. Like another user has said make sure the water is Ice cold and if you need to (for really long exams) take sips of water and spit it back into the bottle if it helps cool you down

These are just tricks I've used in the past. I used to drink lots of water at school, I find it helps with concentration. I suppose if you wanted to keep yourself hydrated and not waste your time during the exam you could always wear projection (if your a girl) to help in case you do have the call of nature.. yes I'm talking incontinence pads... I may/ may not have done that during a really important exam once... You have to do what you have to do when the *******s don't allow time away from exams to answer a call of nature.

Best of luck in all your exams. I hope they go smoothly <3 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Wait...what? That's real?
    Of course not, though people say it every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Most institutions have aircon
    What strange planet are you on? I don't know any schools with aircon in anything but the odd computer room.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Of course not, though people say it every year.
    Thought as much, doesn't really make any sense to do that.

ReputationRep:
    That's not even that hot
    it's 43 degrees where I live

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40319085

So, it seems there's a chance that the hot weather will climb even hotter during this coming week, coming to a head with possible highs of 34 degrees on Thursday... which, naturally, is the date of my Prose English Lit exam. I've been struggling on 22-24 during exams - I think I might actually pass out if it climbs to 34 outside a stuffy exam hall.

Are there any allowances set in place for extremely hot/adverse weather conditions during exams? Obviously I'm not expecting them to hand out ice-creams, but is there any sort of 'disturbance' allowance that can be put on our papers, similar to being taken ill in an exam, or will it just be a sweat-and-bear-it?
    If i wana survive this, it seems I'll have to have wear no vest, open more top buttons of my shirt and take off my blazer.

May God show mercy on us during that fine day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iqra2159)
    That's not even that hot
    it's 43 degrees where I live
    That's a heat level you're likely used to and acclimatised to - I can't claim to know where you live, but most places with hot climates are built to withstand hot weather - single glazing, air con, thinner walls, light colours....

34 degrees is extremely hot for a British summer, with British residents, who are not acclimatised to this sort of heat. Our buildings are built without air conditioning for the most part- instead, they're insulated and windows are double glazed to preserve heat. Our weather is bad! That's how England is. To people whose bodies are used to cold and dreary winters and mild summers, this is extremely hot. 🌻

Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    That's a heat level you're likely used to and acclimatised to - I can't claim to know where you live, but most places with hot climates are built to withstand hot weather - single glazing, air con, thinner walls, light colours....

34 degrees is extremely hot for a British summer, with British residents, who are not acclimatised to this sort of heat. Our buildings are built without air conditioning for the most part- instead, they're insulated and windows are double glazed to preserve heat. Our weather is bad! That's how England is. To people whose bodies are used to cold and dreary winters and mild summers, this is extremely hot. 🌻

Hope that helped!
    Got it

ReputationRep:
    A two hour commute in on public transport, then hours in an exam hall... 34 degrees outside, in a room with a hundred highly stressed and sweaty students crammed together... with no open windows or doors... You're welcome to sit in there instead of me, if you want!
    They don't even open windows?? Wow good luck, my friend
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Compost)
    What strange planet are you on? I don't know any schools with aircon in anything but the odd computer room.
    Is it at the discretion of the exam centre as to whether they can take cold drinks in? I seem to recall being allowed to take a drink in, but cant recall the regulations?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my lasts psychology exam on Thursday
    I'm sucking it up and taking a big bottle of cold water because it's life. Offices don't shut down during hot weather, life doesn't grind to a halt because it's "too hot", people deal with it. If you wear cool enough clothing and take cold water with you I fail to see how it will affect your performance, unless you're sitting the exam outside in the blaring sunshine?
    Our sports hall is in direct sun and boiling, I still deal with it

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.