Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to study Hispanic Studies at Sheffield Uni but you have to take part in a Think Create project in your first semester and I literally haven't seen one good review of it from researching the initiative. It's really putting me off taking the course so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with it even if it's in a different degree?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have to do Think Create, but everyone I lived with did and they all thought it was an awful waste of time and did nothing but complain about it. But that said, every degree no matter where you go will have boring group work that all you'll do is complain about and hate, they just won't be as open about advertising the fact.

However, it is one of those things that will be helpful to write about on job applications etc as you'll be able to pull lots of 'experiences' from it to write about, even if it seems to be painful at the time.

ReputationRep:
    It's literally a week of not having exams, dossing about, and meeting new people in different disciplines. There are worse things to do.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let think create put you off - it's only 4 days and half days at that. Yes it's pretty crap and all courses have to do it, science degrees have a different version which I hear is much the same. Hispanic Studies is a really fun degree don't let think create rubbish put you off, no matter where you go you'll have to do at least one thing that's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh that was a pile of **** lmao in first year we had to do one called "state of Sheffield", which is the equivalent for those doing law and humanities subjects I think....just another one of them waste of time things you have to go through as part of offering you a "balanced" education.....tbh it depends what topic you get, we had a really boring bad one but I suppose if you got a good one it might be somewhat enjoyable...either way that is not something worry about just turn up and get your name ticked, as long as you have something at the end of the few days it's fine plus you can just skive off to the arts tower and go on the computers lol....imo first year students really try to hard with this and get scared of not being there every minute eyc so just don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieBee37)
    I'm thinking of applying to study Hispanic Studies at Sheffield Uni but you have to take part in a Think Create project in your first semester and I literally haven't seen one good review of it from researching the initiative. It's really putting me off taking the course so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with it even if it's in a different degree?
    I'm going to warn you, it's the most soul destorying, waste of time, pointless thing you will do in first year.

But don't let it put you off whatsoever, it's only for 5 days, and it's really easy. And it doesn't matter if you fail it, but it's almost impossible to fail as long as you just turn up.

Languages at Sheffield are amazing and you'd be stupid to throw that away just because of Think Create. Nobody likes Think Create, so you can just bond with the new people in your group when you get to do it.

I don't know why they keep running it because year on year they ask freshers to fill out forms about their experience and everyone said it was a waste of time and didn't really enjoy it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.