Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New A levels. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, I've finished GCSEs and got like 10 weeks to do nothing so I thought of doing a little bit of A level revision. I used youtube videos and such and then it hit me!

Will I be doing a new spec? I did a new spec for maths and english this year and I know next year everyone else does that bs number grading system but are A levels affected in any way? Like, is there a new spec or have they changed anything?

And if they have, does anyone know any good revision sites?

That is all, thank you for taking your time to read it.

On a side note, it sure is hot today. Pretty sure I'm not the only one sitting in my underwear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarest)
    Sooo, I've finished GCSEs and got like 10 weeks to do nothing so I thought of doing a little bit of A level revision. I used youtube videos and such and then it hit me!

Will I be doing a new spec? I did a new spec for maths and english this year and I know next year everyone else does that bs number grading system but are A levels affected in any way? Like, is there a new spec or have they changed anything?

On a side note, it sure is hot today. Pretty sure I'm not the only one sitting in my underwear.
    Okay so most A levels have changed from 2015 onwards, so most books and websites will have already the stuff you need for each of your new Alevels. If you've already decided your Alevels then go onto the website for the exam board (if you don't just search up AQA as they are one of the biggest examining board and have pretty much every subject ever). Then look at the spec and then go on YouTube and watch YouTube videos. If your doing chemistry then chemrevise is the best , maths is mathsolutions and English literature just search up on tsr and something should come up. I wouldn't invest in books or revision guides yet, you may regret it. But if you tell me more specifically what subjects you're taking i may be able to help more directly. Good luck ☺️

ReputationRep:

You'll be likely doing a new spec: don't revise for a levels you've not started yet - read books, have fun and relax to prepare you for the hard life that is a levels. The number system isn't introduced but a lot of the content is changing and most a levels have now become linear. Sure if you're doing maths or science, watch a few revision videos or buy a book and flick through if you feel it's necessary but if you're doing essay based subjects, see what your college teaches and do some early reading. But don't strain yourself, this should be your best summer yet! I know mine was, and my a levels are going swell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruzina123)
    Okay so most A levels have changed from 2015 onwards, so most books and websites will have already the stuff you need for each of your new Alevels. If you've already decided your Alevels then go onto the website for the exam board (if you don't just search up AQA as they are one of the biggest examining board and have pretty much every subject ever). Then look at the spec and then go on YouTube and watch YouTube videos. If your doing chemistry then chemrevise is the best , maths is mathsolutions and English literature just search up on tsr and something should come up. I wouldn't invest in books or revision guides yet, you may regret it. But if you tell me more specifically what subjects you're taking i may be able to help more directly. Good luck ☺️
    Firstly, thank you for the detailed reply. I am on the mathsolutions and It looks very good for maths and further maths.

My other subjects are physics and computing, if you know any good websites for them, please tell me

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    You'll be likely doing a new spec: don't revise for a levels you've not started yet - read books, have fun and relax to prepare you for the hard life that is a levels. The number system isn't introduced but a lot of the content is changing and most a levels have now become linear. Sure if you're doing maths or science, watch a few revision videos or buy a book and flick through if you feel it's necessary but if you're doing essay based subjects, see what your college teaches and do some early reading. But don't strain yourself, this should be your best summer yet! I know mine was, and my a levels are going swell.
    Yeah I get where you are coming from, most of the time I am probably going to be relaxing/procastrinating but since I don't go outside too much I might kill the time by looking into my options It won't be anything too intense though as it is a holiday. Thanks for the advice ^^

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, thank you for the detailed reply. I am on the mathsolutions and It looks very good for maths and further maths.

My other subjects are physics and computing, if you know any good websites for them, please tell me

Thanks!
    No problem 😎, and unfortunately i don't study either of those subjects but I guess YouTube will be your best friend for both of those, they're very popular so try Khanacademy or crashcourse for both and see what comes up. Also, your local library will have loads of books for them too, even if it isn't the brand new spec 95% of the spec will be the same so getting out a book for free from the library doesn't do you any harm at all. I've seen these books called which are about bridging the gap between gcse and alevel in my library which you may find helpful so go and check it out. But also, don't forget to relax and enjoy because boy oh boy is the jump from gcse to alevel huge. Like it's unimaginable and no amount of preparation is going to set you up for the stress your about to start. So relax as much as you can before real hell starts, gcse was a walk in the park compared to what's coming up.

ReputationRep:

Yes. you will be doing new spec. If you revise early tho, that will be a huge advantage for you, and will get you into the habit of revising early (a common mistake majority of AS students make)
    Oh and yeah, its like 30 degrees here too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.