Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Fob watch recommendations Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be a student nurse in September and my parents (bless them) have offered to buy me something to celebrate starting a new course. I know I need a fob watch, but I am slightly worried about spending any sort of money on it as it'll probably get covered in all sorts of wonderful bodily fluids... Equally I would love a watch to be slightly nicer and have sentimental value

Has anyone got any recommendations for fob watches that they've tried and tested or that they know are good? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    I'm going to be a student nurse in September and my parents (bless them) have offered to buy me something to celebrate starting a new course. I know I need a fob watch, but I am slightly worried about spending any sort of money on it as it'll probably get covered in all sorts of wonderful bodily fluids... Equally I would love a watch to be slightly nicer and have sentimental value

Has anyone got any recommendations for fob watches that they've tried and tested or that they know are good? Thanks in advance
    It's best to just get a cheap one, ie the rubber ones that you can also wipe clean due to infection control.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

If you want a nice metal one to keep, try to go for something stainless steel, so that you can give it a rub over with an alcohol wipe without damaging it. Anything plated will eventually need to be replated after regular cleaning. Generally, you will be wearing aprons when there is any chance of coming into contact with any sort of bodily fluids, so you should be fine.

A watch that either lights up or glows in the dark is useful if you are doing nightshifts.

You can also get the watches engraved with your name which is sweet, and helps if you lose it.

ReputationRep:

Hi, I am starting my degree in September too (adult nursing), I'm a mature student & have been working as a care assistant for a couple of years so already have a fob watch. I got mine on Amazon, there are so many designs available & digital ones, like deviant182 said rubber ones are handy. My friend is a midwife and has a lovely sekonda one, she was given it as a gift from her parents.
    Like Charlotte49 said you would be wearing an apron when doing care activities or anything with a risk of bodily fluids so don't worry about that, you just want to be able to cleanse it with a wipe.
    I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    It's best to just get a cheap one, ie the rubber ones that you can also wipe clean due to infection control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I tried loads of the cheapo ones and just found they ran out of battery every few months, at random, often leaving me stranded mid-shift without being able to count resps (Kinda critical in paeds where so many of our admissions are for respiratory causes!)

ReputationRep:
    Like I said in my other post, I tried lots of the cheapo ones without much success. I absolutely swear by my Lorus 'Lumibrite' watch. It's stainless steel so can be cleaned, and has a luminous face (Which has impressed quite a few of my colleagues!). I think there's a lifetime guarantee on it too. It's pricey at about £25 but it's done me two years with no issues. In that time I would have probably gone through 3 or 4 cheap ones, at least.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a square one. It's really difficult to watch the second hand as it never seems to line up

ReputationRep:
    as they now have to live inside your pocket dont spend a lot. they need to becleanable so stainless steel or plastic. mine burns batteries.

ReputationRep:
    as they now have to live inside your pocket dont spend a lot. they need to be cleanable so stainless steel or plastic. mine burns batteries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    as they now have to live inside your pocket
    Is this specific to your workplace?
    At both the care home and hospital I work at nurses and care assistants wear fob watches on their uniform, it doesn't have to be inside a pocket.

ReputationRep:
    board wide policy both hospital and community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    board wide policy both hospital and community.
    I see. As it varies, OP may be able to wear their fob watch on their uniform.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help- there are so many points raised that I wouldn't have thought of! My current thinking is to go cheap for first year (if it's cheap I can have a back-up) and then perhaps spend a bit more once I learn more about the environment I'm in and my own personal preferences.
    The Lorus watch looks like something worthwhile looking into a bit more- for what it is it doesn't look too expensive.
    I can wear my fob watch on my uniform luckily
    Thank you all again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_l218)
    I see. As it varies, OP may be able to wear their fob watch on their uniform.
    When I did my training we were told that you're supposed to wear your fobwatch inside a pocket, however the vast majority of people wore them on the outside of their tunics. In a way, a fob watch is seen as a badge of being a nurse just as much as a stethoscope round the neck is seen as that of being a doctor.

There's a fair reasoning behind wearing it in the pocket (stops it dangling in stuff and becoming a vector for infection, stops giving people something to grab onto), people will see it as a challenge to their professional identity and as with a lot of change in nursing and the NHS, resist it. (Btw, going by how the other poster describes where they work, I work quite some distance from him before people suggest this may be a local thing).

Right, back on topic, I used to have a nice lorus fob watch that was given to me as a gift from friends I worked with. It served me well, it sounds like the same one that Paediatricstn is talking about. Glow in the dark is very useful for on nights. It resides in my locker now, it has done for five years, I don't need one in my current job as we've clocks in every bedspace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    When I did my training we were told that you're supposed to wear your fobwatch inside a pocket, however the vast majority of people wore them on the outside of their tunics. In a way, a fob watch is seen as a badge of being a nurse just as much as a stethoscope round the neck is seen as that of being a doctor.

There's a fair reasoning behind wearing it in the pocket (stops it dangling in stuff and becoming a vector for infection, stops giving people something to grab onto), people will see it as a challenge to their professional identity and as with a lot of change in nursing and the NHS, resist it. (Btw, going by how the other poster describes where they work, I work quite some distance from him before people suggest this may be a local thing).

Right, back on topic, I used to have a nice lorus fob watch that was given to me as a gift from friends I worked with. It served me well, it sounds like the same one that Paediatricstn is talking about. Glow in the dark is very useful for on nights. It resides in my locker now, it has done for five years, I don't need one in my current job as we've clocks in every bedspace.
    The Lorus may well be in your locker, but I bet it's still ticking away!

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.