Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

A196 - Constitutional Comittee Amendment Watch

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, this Committee helps to reduce the likelihood of a Speaker abusing his powers and position. It serves as a check on the Speaker, and can notify the house of issues as and when they arise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily Porter)
    The constant criticism of the Speakership team, sometimes even without explanation; the expectations of the Speakership team etc.

Constitutional reforms such as introducing a Constitutional Committee, and appointing a personal assistant, would help relieve the stress on the Speakership team. Had Petros had more support, and had issues raised before they blew up, then he would most likely not have resigned.
    There's more criticism, yes, but otherwise the job has been effectively unchanged in my time in the House. It may be that the deputy speaker needs to take away some of the admin burden (though I never found it a huge burden myself) and possibly be a non-voting member due to doing that, but a constitutional council only sounds damaging to me.

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, this Committee helps to reduce the likelihood of a Speaker abusing his powers and position. It serves as a check on the Speaker, and can notify the house of issues as and when they arise.
    It seems a bit strange for people to use the argument of increased criticism of the speaker and then to insist upon massively bureaucratic checks on their power due to potential abuse, including the creation of a new subforum and usergroup. The VoNC system and general moderation of the TSR forums (which the speaker is not above, by the way) serve as checks enough on the power of a speaker.

Do we need seven, eight members making up well over 10% of the MHoC MPs flagging when they think the Speaker is acting out of order. Any Speaker that abuses their powers is quite rightly going to face consequences as the House won't stand for it. The problem with this amendment is that members can vote for a ruling which might benefit them. You end up with these becoming politicised.

We have a Speaker and a Constitution. We have a Guidance Document to advise them or to record precedents set by a Speaker. We need no more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Do we need seven, eight members making up well over 10% of the MHoC MPs flagging when they think the Speaker is acting out of order. Any Speaker that abuses their powers is quite rightly going to face consequences as the House won't stand for it. The problem with this amendment is that members can vote for a ruling which might benefit them. You end up with these becoming politicised.

We have a Speaker and a Constitution. We have a Guidance Document to advise them or to record precedents set by a Speaker. We need no more.
    We also have a deputy speaker who is involved in party politics and takes over when the speaker isn't around, they are trusted to enforce the rules.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    There's more criticism, yes, but otherwise the job has been effectively unchanged in my time in the House. It may be that the deputy speaker needs to take away some of the admin burden (though I never found it a huge burden myself) and possibly be a non-voting member due to doing that, but a constitutional council only sounds damaging to me.
    I think it depends on how the committee is used. But on the whole I don't see how extra scrutiny is such a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain - I'm not really sure ...

ReputationRep:
    Nay, an absolutely awful idea.

ReputationRep:
    Conclusion: Libers, UKIP, and unpopular indies get "bullied". Changes it from electing the speaker to being a popularity contest to the rulings being based on popularity.

Nay

ReputationRep:
    Ludicrous, nay.

ReputationRep:
    Order! This amendment has entered cessation.

Updated: June 24, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.