Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Mature Students - Going back to education (No Access/ Refresher recently) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Applying for 2018 start.. I have the required UCAS points (not really that old), but a little apprehensive when it comes to my application as I have not done an access/ refresher course in the last year.

I plan on applying with a foundation year so subsidise this - but really need to know if I'm going to be told to do an access course regardless or whether I can sack off the idea of doing a foundation year completely?

Just for background on my experience, following doing a BTEC in college I started an apprenticeship in IT (achieved an NVQ in IT, not really sure this means very much ultimately), and have worked 2.5 years in networking. CCNA qualified, about to start comptia a+ if it'll give me that extra little boost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc00l999)
    Hi all,

Applying for 2018 start.. I have the required UCAS points (not really that old), but a little apprehensive when it comes to my application as I have not done an access/ refresher course in the last year.

I plan on applying with a foundation year so subsidise this - but really need to know if I'm going to be told to do an access course regardless or whether I can sack off the idea of doing a foundation year completely?

Just for background on my experience, following doing a BTEC in college I started an apprenticeship in IT (achieved an NVQ in IT, not really sure this means very much ultimately), and have worked 2.5 years in networking. CCNA qualified, about to start comptia a+ if it'll give me that extra little boost.
    Different Universities will have different selection criteria. The easiest thing to do would be to call admissions at your selected campus and see if they can advise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc00l999)
    Hi all,

As above, every uni judges mature student entry individually, so we have no way of knowing. Sometimes professional experience or qualifications can be taken into account, but only the Admissions Offices of the unis where you're applying, can tell you.

You generally need proof of recent successful academic study to reassure uni that you are capable of studying at a higher level. In addition, you need GCSE English and Maths at Grade C (sometimes higher), so ask about those as well.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.