Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Vehicle collides with pedestrians in London Finsbury Park Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future.)
    Some ppl are claiming mental health illness is diagnosed by opinion. Tell me this doesn't make sense.
    It doesn't make sense unless you're talking about the opinion of a doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashbbk)
    I do class mental health issues as someone who's brain actually doesn't function normally. I think a normal brain is susceptible to being able to hate/justify enough to do these attacks, me and you included (but hopefully not!).
    IMO, the capability of overriding the brain's innate human empathy enough to violently attack a stranger who has no connection with the attacker requires some kind of mental imbalance. Whether the imbalance is innate and physical, chemically induced, or by conditioning, it is still a malfunctioning of the normal mental process.

For a soldier to shoot a combatant from a distance, or release a bomb from a plane is one thing (and even then it is not uncommon for them to suffer subsequent mental health issues), to repeatedly hack with knives at a stranger on the street is another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    That sane people don't plow into a crowd of innocent people.
    I would say that anyone who chooses to do this isn't sane. But what has this got to do with mental illness? There' always another cause in these cases i.e. religion, hate, politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    oh, no?
    Read some of the previous posts that berate me!
    Ignore them.
    I try to rep all your posts because I agree with all of them but TSR doesn't let me do more than 1.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Shocking attack.

I wonder if channels like Sargon of Akkad will post this in "this week in stupid" or their equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    IMO, the capability of overriding the brain's innate human empathy enough to violently attack a stranger who has no connection with the attacker requires some kind of mental imbalance. Whether the imbalance is innate and physical, chemically induced, or by conditioning, it is still a malfunctioning of the normal mental process.

For a soldier to shoot a combatant from a distance, or release a bomb from a plane is one thing (and even then it is not uncommon for them to suffer subsequent mental health issues), to repeatedly hack with knives at a stranger on the street is another.
    What is innate human empathy though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)

I think that there is a connection to the attacker, he sees them as taking over his country, he see's them as a threat, he see's them as part of the group who killed innocent people of his country. He is angry and emotional as a result and did such an attack. It is similar to suicide bombers in Palestine, it isn't overriding human empathy, it is just hard for us to imagine how they view what we see as innocent people. That view has come about, not due to mental health issues or being insane, but blind hatred.

In America, white cop kills black guy, then you suddenly see a revenge attack on white people or white cops indiscriminately. Similarly in these situations, I don't see it as mental health issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    It doesn't make sense unless you're talking about the opinion of a doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The diagnose from a doctor is another thing, but to suggest that these ppl have a mental health issue is crazy. It's not okay to suggest a mental health issue because its serious. We can't assume all murderers have a mental health issue because then they would get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them.
    I try to rep all your posts because I agree with all of them but TSR doesn't let me do more than 1.
    awwww, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would say that anyone who chooses to do this isn't sane. But what has this got to do with mental illness? There' always another cause in these cases i.e. religion, hate, politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Being insane means the same thing- mentally ill.

ReputationRep:
    The diagnose from a doctor is another thing, but to suggest that these ppl have a mental health issue is crazy. It's not okay to suggest a mental health issue because its serious. We can't assume all murderers have a mental health issue because then they would get away with it.
    I agree. I think it's very dangerous to diagnose these nutcases as being mentally ill. The people who will suffer the most are those who actually have mental ilnesses and aren't dangerous because they get lumbered with these idiots. Especially those with more 'severe' mental illnesses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Being insane means the same thing- mentally ill.
    Yes but this isn't what I meant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes but this isn't what I meant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you mean crazy?

ReputationRep:
    Please don't group people like this guy with other people with mental health issues. .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what are you saying?
    That "mental health issues" only covers autistic savant kids and tortured artists, but not psychopathic killers and paedophiles?

This is one of the reasons why in 2017 mental health is still somewhat of a taboo subject
    You literally just claimed that it is taboo to discuss some aspects of mental health issues!!

ReputationRep:
    Meany Pie is claiming mental health illness is diagnosed by opinion. Tell me this doesn't make sense.
    One can argue that extreme hatred is in fact a psychological issue, it is not a social problem it exists solely in the mind of the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    One can argue that extreme hatred is in fact a psychological issue, it is not a social problem it exists solely in the mind of the individual.
    For some ppl yes. But that's not always the case. It can be hate, politics, ignorance etc

ReputationRep:
    Terror attack?

Why headline it the way you did?

If a IS attack it's " Muslim Terror attack"

It's a "Christian Terrorist Attacks Mosque"

This will make the cretins on the far right carryout such attacks om muslims will also radicalise Muslims by IS to say you're hated so jpim IS and Carryout attacks in Europe. This will divide the country. People of nom white skin are targets sadly. Sikhs as well as they resemble muslims as turbans and beards are the main obvious things noticed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Shocking attack.

I wonder if channels like Sargon of Akkad will post this in "this week in stupid" or their equivalent.
    Hardly been mentioned on Rupert **** channel Sky News

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For some ppl yes. But that's not always the case. It can be hate, politics, ignorance etc
    Hatred is often born from ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Shocking attack.

There will probably be an entire video dedicated to it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 27, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.