The Student Room Group

Vehicle collides with pedestrians in London Finsbury Park

Scroll to see replies

This is sickening. My dad goes to mosque during that time. If this attack happened in my area he could have been injured. This attack is also going to provide jihadis with more propaganda. It is ridiculous that this is the 4th attack we have had. What the **** is Theresa May doing?

Also can everyone please have some respect for the victims and not turn this into a debate about religion?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 401
Original post by queen-bee
NO,You And your sort need to get over yourselves. Hate will not prevail,did you no thought listen to the PMs speech?!
he thing is, hate may prevail if we give it a free pass, if we fail to call it "hate". However, you (and others) are selective about what you class as "hate", as has been seen on this thread.
I think that any ideology, text or speech that denigrates, discriminates of dehumanises any individual on the basis of race, gender, ability and, yes, religion, is "hate". Whatever the source or the target.

What some people seem unable to grasp is that criticising an ideology is not, and cannot be "hate" if it deals factually with the content of that ideology.

and as for the muslims on here please don't feel disheartened by the sickening comments and threads we continue to see Day In And Day out.
Give an example of one of my comments that you consider to be directed towards Muslims that is "sickening" (and that can't just mean it criticises Islam)
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Damn.. you did it again. Strong urge to say something about this but I wont.

I think anyone can see that over a hundred injured and dozens killed is more serious than this attack there is no denying that.

However the attack this morning is still appalling regardless of numbers.
Original post by QE2
he thing is, hate may prevail if we give it a free pass, if we fail to call it "hate". However, you (and others) are selective about what you class as "hate", as has been seen on this thread.
I think that any ideology, text or speech that denigrates, discriminates of dehumanises any individual on the basis of race, gender, ability and, yes, religion, is "hate". Whatever the source or the target.

What some people seem unable to grasp is that criticising an ideology is not, and cannot be "hate" if it deals factually with the content of that ideology.

Give an example of one of my comments that you consider to be directed towards Muslims that is "sickening" (and that can't just mean it criticises Islam)

Your posts speak for themselves habibi
Original post by constantine2016
This is sickening. My dad goes to mosque during that time. If this attack happened in my area he could have been injured. This attack is also going to provide jihadis with more propaganda. It is ridiculous that this is the 4th attack we have had. What the **** is Theresa May doing?

Also can everyone please have some respect for the victims and not turn this into a debate about religion?

In some way all the incidents are based around religion. Even if we do not like it, it's a fact
Reply 405
Original post by Reality Check
It's a really good question - and one to which there aren't any easy answers. It has to come down to the TSR community itself making clear that islamophobic, racist and other hate speech isn't welcome by the community and won't be tolerated - that and enforcement of the rules by the ST and CT.
The problem here is with the definitions.
Racism is pretty black and white (sorry, but I couldn't resist!) but Islamophobia is, by definition, impossible to define (see the OED definition of "Islamophobia - it contains two entirely different and almost contradictory elements). And as for "hate", it is an almost entirely relative and subjective concept.

The problem you face is that it is essentially about "offence" rather than anything concrete. And if you moderate on the basis of what individuals find offensive, you may as well shut down the site and go home now.
Original post by Meany Pie
I think anyone can see that over a hundred injured and dozens killed is more serious than this attack there is no denying that.

However the attack this morning is still appalling regardless of numbers.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong POV. It's the action and the intention of these people that makes it serious.

FUK. Was not supposed to come back. Not getting involved after this. White flag.
Original post by QE2
The internet. A variety of sources.
Just Google Islamophobic and Islamist attack and casualty statistics since 2005.

No. You said that non-Muslims are more likely to be victims of Islamic attacks than Muslims being victims of Islamophobic attacks. Where is the statistic that you used to make that point? Unless you can point me to a specific link, you're just making this up.
Original post by Rooster11366
In some way all the incidents are based around religion. Even if we do not like it, it's a fact

I know that but arguing about religion is not going to prevent more terror attacks. I won't be surprised if another attack happens in retaliation to this one. I think we should be questioning how Theresa May's government has failed to stop 4 terror plots in the space of a month. When Cameron was in power we never had this many terror attacks.
Reply 409
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
@QE2 you made a very serious accusation about a few members on this site with no proof and just a few excuses stating why you can't prove it

I think it's best to not take you serious after that

Do carry on though
OK
Ask IdeasForLife and HAnwar if they unequivocally condemn the Manchester and London attacks. Personally, I would be more than happy if they did so, and having to admit I was wrong would be a small price to pay.

(And while you're at it, ask him if he condemns every attack on Shia civilians by Sunnis. I've not had any luck thus far)
I know that but arguing about religion is not going to prevent more terror attacks. I won't be surprised if another attack happens in retaliation to this one. I think we should be questioning how Theresa May's government has failed to stop 4 terror plots in the space of a month. When Cameron was in power we never had this many terror attacks.

Mmm let's put it this way. We have got to be right 100% of the time.

They only have to be right 1.

We never here about the ones they have stopped. It would not matter which pm we have. If this was going to take place PM does not matter. It is not the PM that stops terrorists it's police,security services and armed forces.
(edited 6 years ago)
Mmm let's put it this way. We have got to be right 100% of the time.

They only have to be right 1.

We never here about the ones they have stopped. It would not matter which pm we have. If this was going to take place PM does not matter. It is not the PM that stops terrorists it's police,security services and armed forces.

That is true. Our police force and emergency services work very hard and the government should continue to invest in them rather than deliver cuts.
Another example of a racist white bigot
Original post by slade p

Sorry please explain comment and who is it to.
That is true. Our police force and emergency services work very hard and the government should continue to invest in them rather than deliver cuts.

So true
Original post by slade p

Which was the other example?

Slade P are you on the same planet as the rest of us.
Sorry please explain comment and who is it to.

The van driver obviously

I wasn't thinking about any one specific, I meant in general it is yet another example of a racist white bigot.
Original post by slade p
I wasn't thinking about any one specific, I meant in general it is yet another example of a racist white bigot.

Oh, I thought you might have had a little more to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending