Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Feeling down post first year at uni. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been back home after finishing my first year at university since May and I've made a large effort to see friends whilst I'm home but it feels off. I feel like I don't fit in with them anymore, I haven't changed much I don't think yet I just don't fit in anywhere anymore. I didn't really make friends with anyone at uni, I'm too nervous to join a society and my dyspraxia makes dealing with the change extra difficult. I didn't feel as though I fit in with the partying lifestyle up there and I no longer fit in with my friends back home. My university is really far away from where I live so I couldn't really visit often. They've all been together since Ieft and now that I'm back it just feels as if my presence is ruining their good time and I'm just bumming them out.

Is this a normal feeling or am I just being a moany cow? If it is normal, is there any way to stop feeling like this?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insertusername_)
    So I've been back home after finishing my first year at university since May and I've made a large effort to see friends whilst I'm home but it feels off. I feel like I don't fit in with them anymore, I haven't changed much I don't think yet I just don't fit in anywhere anymore. I didn't really make friends with anyone at uni, I'm too nervous to join a society and my dyspraxia makes dealing with the change extra difficult. I didn't feel as though I fit in with the partying lifestyle up there and I no longer fit in with my friends back home. My university is really far away from where I live so I couldn't really visit often. They've all been together since Ieft and now that I'm back it just feels as if my presence is ruining their good time and I'm just bumming them out.

Is this a normal feeling or am I just being a moany cow? If it is normal, is there any way to stop feeling like this?
    This happened to me too in the first year, I'm not sure if I can say it's 'normal' but I'd think it happens with other people too. The society does help though, I met my closest friends at uni from societies. Sometimes you just don't fully click with people on your course (I didn't) and some course friends are just friends for their convenience but societies allows you to meet people from other courses and meet new people that you can really get on with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    This happened to me too in the first year, I'm not sure if I can say it's 'normal' but I'd think it happens with other people too. The society does help though, I met my closest friends at uni from societies. Sometimes you just don't fully click with people on your course (I didn't) and some course friends are just friends for their convenience but societies allows you to meet people from other courses and meet new people that you can really get on with.

I agree, and also moving into a house with others in the 2nd year can be a challenge too and again you can feel left out. I'd suggest societies where you meet people with common interests (and they seem to be generally more welcoming).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I agree, and also moving into a house with others in the 2nd year can be a challenge too and again you can feel left out. I'd suggest societies where you meet people with common interests (and they seem to be generally more welcoming).
    I've been told that joining societies may help but my issue is that there aren't really any societies at my university that I would enjoy and I also hate the idea of going to one of the society meetings and not knowing anyone so I end up sitting there like a lemon.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 19, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.