Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Chances of TC with a scraped through 2.1 ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2.1 that I got in 2013 from a less prestigious RG university (think Leeds or Sheffield level). The mark was 59.7 (or so) and the university awarded me the 2.1.

So, I started working and gaining experience as I knew straight out from uni I was wasting my time looking for a TC. I managed to get 6 months in a FTSE250 building company and made some decent achievements there (Made close to a million for the company). I left to pursue a paralegal role and I got the paralegal role, I plan on being there for 2 years then sitting an LLM at Durham, who are positive that I should at least apply to them.

With this experience added and an LLM at a more prestigious university, do I have a shot at the TC's (regional or city)? Do they look at the whole picture rather than the scraped through 2.1? The barely 2.1 has really not helped, but I have really been trying to build the CV for years so you know...

Also, I am sort of aware that some firms do not like the LLM (not sure which) but I am just taking one as I want to prove I can get the top grades on the modules I did not do well on. I had one fail module in 3rd year and it ****ed up my average score.

My ABB at A Level does cut me off from applying to many city/regional firms but I am not that picky. Plus I did have extenuating circumstances at A Level but it would feel weird mentioning that I had surgery so I won't (I presume it is unwritten knowledge that they don't want the possibility of someone being ill and taking time off even though I have had perfect health for years now).

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.