Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    hey people, i have a few questions about my legal career.

    First of all, i would like to introduce myself, i am from Colombia, currently living there with my partner who is a British citizenship. I am a fully qualified Lawyer here and in my overseas LLB (5 years) i got a 3,6/5 grade, which according to the Uk Gov website is a 2.1 in the Uk. We're thinking about moving to london next year, so I decided to turn my colombian LLB into a Uk one.

    I already know i have different paths to do it, one of it is do the QLTS exam, however, how my degree is based on a civil law system it might be really difficult to pass for me, for that reason I'm taking into account the GDL/LPC as the easiest route for me to become in a uk solicitor or at least be able to get a job over there.

    I have legal experience in Colombia and also academic experience from argentina, where i studied 6 months abroad.

    After my brief summary of my background i would like to ask

    1. Which university would you recommend to take GDL courses?

    2. Would it be helpful to hold a LLB from south america in the legal market plus my native language?

    3. Can I apply to get a TC even if i'm currently not living in the Uk?

    Ok this is tricky...

    Firms are less likely to take you on for a TC if you are an experienced qualified lawyer. They will be concerned about you being over qualified to do a junior role for two years, and whether you will have any frustrations of doing more admin tasks compared to what you are doing now. Many would advise you to take the QLTS route instead.

    It doesn't really matter where you study the GDL or LPC.

    Your background will be interesting to some firms, and your language skills may help you. But for a training contract, you are going to be advising on English law for the vast majority of the time, and therefore it won't necessarily give you a distinct advantage. If a firm has a strong presence in your jurisdiction, then there might be some greater benefits.

    But yes, you can apply to TCs while you are outside of the UK. The tricky part will be when it comes to interviews though. If invited to that stage, you really need to be in the UK, or would be expected to fly over to attend them (and you might only get at best £100-200 to cover your travel).

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2017
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.