Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Graduated with high 2:1 (69%) in pharmacy- what are my chances? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I woke up this morning expecting good news, but I was sad to see I did not get a first overall in my Mpharm degree. I was really disappointed. I was under the impression they would not count a low credit module in my final year which I did not do well in (like they said they would in their program handbook) but they did and in addition to this I did not do as well as I thought in a few exams. As a consequence I got 69%. Badly ruined my day (and perhaps the entire week).

I was hoping to apply for the GEM at universities that only consider your degree mark (plus GAMSAT/UKCAT) i.e Nottingham. I know some unis like Nottingham ask for minimum 2:2 and others high 2:1, but in reality how does a 69% stack up (assuming I do good in entrance exams)? Anyone here got accepted with 2:1's? Obviously a 1st would have been much better but sadly I have to do with a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Optimist)
    I woke up this morning expecting good news, but I was sad to see I did not get a first overall in my Mpharm degree. I was really disappointed. I was under the impression they would not count a low credit module in my final year which I did not do well in (like they said they would in their program handbook) but they did and in addition to this I did not do as well as I thought in a few exams. As a consequence I got 69%. Badly ruined my day (and perhaps the entire week).

I was hoping to apply for the GEM at universities that only consider your degree mark (plus GAMSAT/UKCAT) i.e Nottingham. I know some unis like Nottingham ask for minimum 2:2 and others high 2:1, but in reality how does a 69% stack up (assuming I do good in entrance exams)? Anyone here got accepted with 2:1's? Obviously a 1st would have been much better but sadly I have to do with a 2:1.
    X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

nexttime Democracy

ReputationRep:

Most universities (except Barts) don't care if you made a 1st or 2.1. It's just a tick box exercise so you are fine for GEM.

Scolarships (to help with living costs during med school) prefer you gained an average of 65% overall or higher in your first degree, which you obviously did. I don't think a 2.1 in Pharmacy is anything to feel bad about even if you want to go into research. It's a vocational degree, as long as you pass Pre Reg, no employer cares what you graduated with, they'll always pick the person with more relevant experience.

ReputationRep:

Have you double checked your degree classification regulations to see if they have been applied correctly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neldee95)
    Most universities (except Barts) don't care if you made a 1st or 2.1. It's just a tick box exercise so you are fine for GEM.

Scolarships (to help with living costs during med school) prefer you gained an average of 65% overall or higher in your first degree, which you obviously did. I don't think a 2.1 in Pharmacy is anything to feel bad about even if you want to go into research. It's a vocational degree, as long as you pass Pre Reg, no employer cares what you graduated with, they'll always pick the person with more relevant experience.
    Thank you for the reassurement. I guess main thing is the GAMSAT+ experience factor now. Still gutted I did not make a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Have you double checked your degree classification regulations to see if they have been applied correctly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did, but it seems just starting this year they changed their regulation and they no longer remove ones worst module (as long it's worth less than 24 credit) in the final year. If they had not changed it, I would have been in a first. And to be frank with you, I am not going to start appealing/ argue with them. Even If I had got a first it would be barely. As long as a 69% can cut it for GEM, then I'll be happy. I feel like I am a first student normally, but the travelling and other issues got to me during the course and I could not perform as well. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of GEPs don't look at degree percentages. I think Liverpool did once upon a time, but I can't see that that's still the case.

You can still apply to Nottingham with a 2:1 - you're in a strong academic position for applying to GEM, just make sure your entrance exams, work experience etc are all sorted too.

Congrats on your 2:1 and gaining your MPharm, it's nothing except good news and certainly shouldn't ruin your day.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Democracy)
    The majority of GEPs don't look at degree percentages. I think Liverpool did once upon a time, but I can't see that that's still the case.

You can still apply to Nottingham with a 2:1 - you're in a strong academic position for applying to GEM, just make sure your entrance exams, work experience etc are all sorted too.

Congrats on your 2:1 and gaining your MPharm, it's nothing except good news and certainly shouldn't ruin your day.
    You're welcome for the tag in bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    You're welcome for the tag in bro.
    Thank you for tagging the members here. Highly appreciated.
    • Welcome Squad

Thank you for tagging the members here. Highly appreciated.
    No problem, congratulations on your MPharm 2:1 it's impressive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

Hi Democracy,

Thank you for your comment. I'll be focusing on the GAMSAT and experience in the coming 1-2 year (post pre registration).

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.