Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips to beat the heat Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lie in a bath of cold water for a few mins.

(if you want to conserve water you can leave it there for another go later)
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I mean that was only one tip and not tips plural, but thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valyrian)
    I mean that was only one tip and not tips plural, but thanks.
    As this is a communal interactive thread the idea is that people contribute.

OK, here's another:
    Walk in wooded areas, not only is it cooler but you get a different "soundscape" - insects and birds. If you can get away from busy roads and noisy kids.

ReputationRep:
    i legit threw cold water all over myself, opened the windows, fanned myself, did everything in tha book and im boiling like i put my whole my body in the microwave and set it for 3 days and 2 hours.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    As this is a communal interactive thread the idea is that people contribute.

OK, here's another:
    Walk in wooded areas, not only is it cooler but you get a different "soundscape" - insects and birds. If you can get away from busy roads and noisy kids.
    What if you live in a central city with no wooded areas around? Isn't like I can walk out of my house and end up in a forest, but okay.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    i legit through cold water all over myself, opened the windows, fanned myself, did everything in tha book and im boiling like i put my whole my body in the microwave and set it for 3 days and 2 hours.
    I don't mean to be a grammar nazi but do you mean "throw" instead of "through"?

ReputationRep:
    What if you live in a central city with no wooded areas around? Isn't like I can walk out of my house and end up in a forest, but okay.
    Most department stores and many cafes have air conditioning

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be a grammar nazi but do you mean "throw" instead of "through"?
    this is wot the heat does to you eh

ReputationRep:
    When you read it as "tips to beat the meat"

Maybe its the heat getting to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    i legit threw cold water all over myself, opened the windows, fanned myself, did everything in tha book and im boiling like i put my whole my body in the microwave and set it for 3 days and 2 hours.
    Throwing cold water over yourself will not do it, you need to immerse yourself for several minutes. The body is a lump of fatty meat, you need to suck the heat out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Lie in a bath of cold water for a few mins.

(if you want to conserve water you can leave it there for another go later)
    Simple keep the fan on and open the windows
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you happen to live in London go swim outside in the Hampstead ponds, the serpentine lido, or Oasis's rooftop lido. That's basically what I did all weekend :3 There are probably similar things (lidos/wild swimming locations) all over the country if you google it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Throwing cold water over yourself will not do it, you need to immerse yourself for several minutes. The body is a lump of fatty meat, you need to suck the heat out.
    mm sounds like chicken nuggets. thanks i will probably do the thing you said in like an hour! i alwayz avoid showering with cold water tho but i will do this once

ReputationRep:
    Water's therrmal conductivity is 24 times that of air, so it will cool you 24 times as fast.

A friend wgho worked outside in Australia said they would wear a towel of cold water on their head.

The opposite is falling into icy water in winter - you need to get out fast.

ReputationRep:
    stay in the shade!
    Although, I don't do that, coz in another thread, I admitted that temperatures don't bother me!

ReputationRep:
    Other benefits of a cold bath

1) They help you treat depression Cold water baths have shown to increase the release of depression-beating chemicals like nor-adrenaline and beta-endorphins making you feel fresh.

2) Helps improve reproductive health in men.
    (this may not be a benefit for some men)
    Studies have shown that cold water showers stimulate the release of testosterone which helps in increasing your libido.

3) Cold water baths have shown to stimulate the lymphatic and immune system, which helps in boosting the production of infection fighting cells thereby increasing your immunity.

(source)

ReputationRep:
    I read this as beat the meat...

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    chuck a towel in some cold water an open a window put towel over window free A/C.

ReputationRep:
    What heat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    chuck a towel in some cold water an open a window put towel over window free A/C.
    Good idea.
    (choose a window that is letting in air)

also, water in pipes may be warm so allow to run a bit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.