The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anyone else filled their vetting in, and has been waiting a few weeks to be cleared?
Original post by Sarge Pepper
Just got back from the Your Future event in London. Very exciting and lovely to meet all my fellow fast streamers. One thing I forgot to ask. Is there a DDAT facebook page? I can't seem to find it. Best Sean

There is Sean, I'll drop you a PM.
Have any GES people been invited to a 'Your Future' event or is this not for us? Seems very quiet!
Original post by boro125
anyone else filled their vetting in, and has been waiting a few weeks to be cleared?

I only got my two emails last week - I'm waiting for an answer to a question before I can finish filling them in. I sent an email, but every time I call them up, I just get put on hold (40 minutes is my record so far).
Original post by nathanwhu
Have any GES people been invited to a 'Your Future' event or is this not for us? Seems very quiet!

When I got my email telling me which department I was placed in, a welcome letter was also attached - in it was the following:

"Once you join your department, your line manager will help you settle in and get to grips with your new responsibilities. As a member of the GES you have access to the GES members’ website. This gives you access to a wealth of resources that government economists find useful. It provides details of GES guidance and syllabuses for your continuous professional development, learning resources and details of forthcoming events and development opportunities, including GES approved courses. After two years in your first department you will then be free to move to another department to build your experience in other areas.

We strongly recommend that you attend the GES Induction Course. This provides you with a formal, yet fun, introduction to the GES. It will boost your understanding of what the GES does, who we are and what you can look forward to as a member, and will provide you with an invaluable cross government peer network group.

To access these services and to sign up for the next available GES induction course, you just need to send an email to [email protected] as soon as you join the department and we will send you a password to access the site."

So I think I will send the email and request the password! As I've been assigned a department, gotten a start date and salary, and been told my manager's name :smile:
Original post by rayofrain
When I got my email telling me which department I was placed in, a welcome letter was also attached - in it was the following:

"Once you join your department, your line manager will help you settle in and get to grips with your new responsibilities. As a member of the GES you have access to the GES members’ website. This gives you access to a wealth of resources that government economists find useful. It provides details of GES guidance and syllabuses for your continuous professional development, learning resources and details of forthcoming events and development opportunities, including GES approved courses. After two years in your first department you will then be free to move to another department to build your experience in other areas.

We strongly recommend that you attend the GES Induction Course. This provides you with a formal, yet fun, introduction to the GES. It will boost your understanding of what the GES does, who we are and what you can look forward to as a member, and will provide you with an invaluable cross government peer network group.

To access these services and to sign up for the next available GES induction course, you just need to send an email to [email protected] as soon as you join the department and we will send you a password to access the site."

So I think I will send the email and request the password! As I've been assigned a department, gotten a start date and salary, and been told my manager's name :smile:

Hi! Did you get to choose your start date? And if you don't mind me asking, what's your starting salary? I haven't been given that yet, and I've been told conflicting things about what I should expect...
Reply 7826
Original post by JellyCat99
Hi! Did you get to choose your start date? And if you don't mind me asking, what's your starting salary? I haven't been given that yet, and I've been told conflicting things about what I should expect...

I joined the GES stream last year and was able to choose my start date, albeit it was a standard start in September/October. Your salary should be the HEO or HEO(D) (if there is one) salary of your department.

There is the possibility that people on the new less competitive "mainstream" assistant economist scheme are paid more than you as you might be on the development HEO level. Depends on the department though.
Original post by JellyCat99

Hey, yes I did get to choose it, I picked a September date. I am in the higher end of the 28-32k range that was advertised for us. I know that my department does have some of the highest salaries.
I would expect 28k and be pleasantly surprised with more, based on hearing of experiences with others. For example, the DfID pays one of the lowest amounts as it is so popular.
I asked for start date, official title and salary from my department's HR to show to potential landlords so once you have your department and preferably manager name, don't be afraid to just ask!
Reply 7828
Is there a ddat Facebook group
Original post by lifre
Is there a ddat Facebook group

Yes, I'll PM you.
Original post by james_____james
Yes, I'll PM you.

Can you message me it too please
Thanks
I found exactly the same thing - when I asked, they said you could change clusters in exceptional circumstances, but not just because you fancy try out a different area! It's tough when there's not that much information / examples provided on the clusters in the fact sheet. I explained how I was torn between two areas, but that just seems to be the way it is.

On the plus side, there seems to be real flexibility for movement post the fast stream, even if you've completed three years in a specific sector they seem to be big on skills being transferable.
This thread is a year old today :shock: feels like this process has been forever :giggle:
Speaking of forever, anyone heard anything back from vetting yet...? I got a call last Friday querying one detail. They then said the process was complete and the results would be sent back to my sponsor. Today my vetting portal, which has always shown "in progress", is no longer accessible
Speaking of forever, anyone heard anything back from vetting yet...? I got a call last Friday querying one detail. They then said the process was complete and the results would be sent back to my sponsor. Today my vetting portal, which has always shown "in progress", is no longer accessible
the portal is back again...must have been down for maintenance...still says "In progress"
"
the portal is back again...must have been down for maintenance...still says "In progress"
"

Mine read complete back on mid May. I emailed the CS to find out the outcome after not hearing anything and got told it goes to a further stage of a 'decision team' and they have no time frames for when that will be complete. Very odd!
Yes, I'll PM you.

Could you PM me too please? Thanks!
Yes, I'll PM you.

Could you PM me too ? Thanks !
Original post by bobblecopter
Mine read complete back on mid May. I emailed the CS to find out the outcome after not hearing anything and got told it goes to a further stage of a 'decision team' and they have no time frames for when that will be complete. Very odd!

Thanks.Ok mine has now changed from "in progress" to "complete".
Guys, I'm being directly appointed (as HEO) so not on the Fast Stream... however I wonder what people think of a Private Secretary role (to a SCS, not minister). They stressed that it wouldn't be a 'policy' position when they interviewed me

Any advice greatly appreciated

Latest

Trending

Trending