Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Will universities accept poor grades during clearing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For example, I'm studying BTEC Level 3 Business and Psychology A-level. If I got D*D and an E in Psychology would these universities (Bedfordshire, Middlesex, UEL, West London, Birkberk etc) accept me with these grades to do BSc Psychology with a foundation year?

ReputationRep:
    There's no need to post 2 identical threads within 15 minutes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    There's no need to post 2 identical threads within 15 minutes...
    my bad I'm just really intrigued as I can't find the information elsewhere so want to know so badly.

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is to call and ask the specific unis what grades they tend to accept through clearing. Unis do take lower grades through clearing but from what I understand it's usually 1-2 letter grades over the whole result max. It also depends a little on the year, if enough people apply through clearing with better grades than you the uni will take them instead. And they will sometimes have subjects they won't go low for as they're important so having a poor psychology grade might not look good when you're applying for a psychology course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Your best bet is to call and ask the specific unis what grades they tend to accept through clearing. Unis do take lower grades through clearing but from what I understand it's usually 1-2 letter grades over the whole result max. It also depends a little on the year, if enough people apply through clearing with better grades than you the uni will take them instead. And they will sometimes have subjects they won't go low for as they're important so having a poor psychology grade might not look good when you're applying for a psychology course.
    I'm going for a psychology with a foundation year which offer lower grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihonestlydk)
    I'm going for a psychology with a foundation year which offer lower grades?
    That doesn't make sense. Ring the university and ask them - they will be able to give you more accurate info than anyone on here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As noted, your best bet is to contact the individual universities. However in general universities often adopt a more flexible approach during clearing. Additionally as you're applying to the course with the foundation year, it's possible they may offer more leeway, although having low marks in a directly related subject may be a cause for concern for them.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    For example, I'm studying BTEC Level 3 Business and Psychology A-level. If I got D*D and an E in Psychology would these universities (Bedfordshire, Middlesex, UEL, West London, Birkberk etc) accept me with these grades to do BSc Psychology with a foundation year?
    They will know better after the 5th July, but personally I would say a E in the subject that your degree may be in is alarming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    They will know better after the 5th July, but personally I would say a E in the subject that your degree may be in is alarming
    I know but I'm doing a foundation year in order to help me get into the degree. I was good at Psychology before, but I left it till last to revise as I was more focused on business and getting it finished.
    If I pass foundation year and leave my degree at the end with an amazing grade, would my A-levels still be a concern? Would the A level in Psychology at A level ruin my chance of getting a good job in the field of Psychology?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I know but I'm doing a foundation year in order to help me get into the degree. I was good at Psychology before, but I left it till last to revise as I was more focused on business and getting it finished.
    If I pass foundation year and leave my degree at the end with an amazing grade, would my A-levels still be a concern? Would the A level in Psychology at A level ruin my chance of getting a good job in the field of Psychology?
    I'll give you my personal viewpoint on how grades matter, which is a multistep process
    1) A levels complete- GCSE's don't matter
    2) Degree Complete- A levels don't matter
    and so forth, but I don't know about Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    I'll give you my personal viewpoint on how grades matter, which is a multistep process
    1) A levels complete- GCSE's don't matter
    2) Degree Complete- A levels don't matter
    and so forth, but I don't know about Psychology.
    Thats how I interpret too. I know that I will all my focus at degree level and try my hardest to achieve the best grade possible to cover up for my A level and prove that I actually did improve and show interest in this field.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how popular the course is and of course what university you're applying to. From my experience working in clearing, universities whose standard offer is AAB prior to clearing may reduce their offer to ABB or even BBB in clearing. Also, you might not even need to do a foundation year because many 'ex-poly' universities will accept the BTEC by itself - not taking into account the E grade. This of course depends on how popular the course is.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Great to hear you are interested in our BSc Psychology with Foundation year
    To access our Psychology Foundation Year you will need at least either DD or CE.
    You can find more info here: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergr...-in-psychology

Anyways, if you have more specific questions related to admissions you can always e- mail [email protected].

Have a great day!
    Ludovica

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.