Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just finished my GCSEs and I want to go into graphic design.

I was wondering how degree level graphic design is assessed (coursework, portfolio, examinations etc). And as my college course is vocational so I will not be taking any exams. So would it help to take notes during classes and revise them, or focus entirely on my coursework and not so much the theory?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by majesticotaku)

I was wondering how degree level graphic design is assessed (coursework, portfolio, examinations etc). And as my college course is vocational so I will not be taking any exams. So would it help to take notes during classes and revise them, or focus entirely on my coursework and not so much the theory?

Thanks
    It's very rare for a creative course like Graphic Design to involve any written exams. You might have practical exams - responding to a live brief from a "client" within a set period of time but mainly you'd be assessed based on your coursework - both your portfolio and your writing/preparatory design work. Understanding the theory will help you in your coursework at university level (and should be helping with your portfolio at the moment) so it's not a good idea to neglect it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's very rare for a creative course like Graphic Design to involve any written exams. You might have practical exams - responding to a live brief from a "client" within a set period of time but mainly you'd be assessed based on your coursework - both your portfolio and your writing/preparatory design work. Understanding the theory will help you in your coursework at university level (and should be helping with your portfolio at the moment) so it's not a good idea to neglect it.
    Ok thank you I will keep that in mind for the future
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by majesticotaku)

Thanks
    Hi majesticotaku,

Congratulations on finishing your GCSEs!!! Get a lot of sleep this summer !

I'm currently a studying BA Graphic Design in Ravensbourne and I highly suggest you to read up on different theories and artists/designers as well as going to museums and galleries. Having a open mind about what is going on around the world and designs that have already happened will help you show your passion for the course when applying for Universities. It will also help you with inspiration for your projects.

If you have any more questions on the course or just Graphic Design feel free to ask,

Row

PS Have a good summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    Hi majesticotaku,

Congratulations on finishing your GCSEs!!! Get a lot of sleep this summer !

I'm currently a studying BA Graphic Design in Ravensbourne and I highly suggest you to read up on different theories and artists/designers as well as going to museums and galleries. Having a open mind about what is going on around the world and designs that have already happened will help you show your passion for the course when applying for Universities. It will also help you with inspiration for your projects.

If you have any more questions on the course or just Graphic Design feel free to ask,

Row

PS Have a good summer!
    Thanks!! Really helpful I'll make sure to do that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.