Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Henrietta Barnett - do I need to achieve ALL my predicted grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    HB gave me a conditional offer in March stating that I need to get 6 A's overall with an A in the subjects i want to study.

Im planning on doing Biology for A-level but I've just done my B3 exam and im worried I did'nt do well.
    If i do get a B in biology but an A in the rest of my subjects i want to do for Alevel, is there a chance they won't accept me?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If they've said you need a A in the subjects you want to do at A-level and you get a B, then yes there is a chance they won't accept you into that subject (you could be asked to choose one you got an A in) especially if your school is quite strict on entry grades for sixth forms. But, there's a chance they might eg. at my school if they know you're usually good at something but you get a grade lower they sometimes let people in.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I also got a conditional offer from HB. I know with 100% certainty that I won't get in though, because I failed my GCSEs horribly.

Because of the school's highly competitive nature, I personally don't think that they will allow you to do Biology at A Level at HB if you get a B, because most of their candidates achieve A*s for Biology. Also, when I asked the teacher in charge of the HB Sixth Form, she said that Chemistry, Biology and Maths are the most popular A-Level subjects at HB, and so there is very high demand for only a few places.

Also, when you said that "HB gave me a conditional offer in March stating that I need to get 6 A's overall with an A in the subjects i want to study." , they do say that, but almost 100% of the time they only ever accept candidates who have 7 or 8A*s minimum (I asked the students there). Keep in mind that this year, there were 400 candidates who applied for a place at the sixth form, 100 people got conditional offers (i.e. you and me being 2 out of that 100), and only 50 out of that 100 will actually get a place.

Please don't worry about it too much. (I'm saying this but I'm totally panicking too lol). I'm assuming that you have other sixth forms that you've applied to and can fall back on, in the case that HB does reject you. Good luck.

Poll
Should schools shut at lunch to save money?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.