Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Mum wants/forcing me to take the hijab off - help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T134O2L5E6)
    Yeah I understand, so in Egypt women only become the property of their husband after marriage.

Anyway glad I could help and I hope you make a decision your comfortable with!
    This thread managed to last a while without getting political somehow.

I will point out that the subservience of women to their husbands is rather consistent between the Abrahamic faiths though the tendency is to portray the faiths as socially liberal, which I most definitely disagree with. The Abrahamic faiths collectively, are remarkably socially conservative and do reflect "traditional" values.

Anyway, this kind of detracts from the OP. You will not find fulfilling debate here, you will likely just be harassed and jeered at, so it'd be best to take remarks such as this to the Faith & Spirituality or Religion sub, instead of posting on an advice thread, where the OP does not seek debate

wear it if u want.If u believe it helps u become a better person then you should continue if u want.Just tell ur parents that u want to wear it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    This thread managed to last a while without getting political somehow.

I will point out that the subservience of women to their husbands is rather consistent between the Abrahamic faiths though the tendency is to portray the faiths as socially liberal, which I most definitely disagree with. The Abrahamic faiths collectively, are remarkably socially conservative and do reflect "traditional" values.

Anyway, this kind of detracts from the OP. You will not find fulfilling debate here, you will likely just be harassed and jeered at, so it'd be best to take remarks such as this to the Faith & Spirituality or Religion sub, instead of posting on an advice thread, where the OP does not seek debate
    All I did was offer my opinion that the head scarf is a symbol of oppression then suggested the OP make her own mind up; although I did use a fair amount of sarcasm. Anyway I will post no further on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    How is he being arrogant, she was happy with what @somad said. And the somad person said he is a lecturer at the uni of newman. It's not his fault he cant express his feelings openly without being judged. Only making a point by saying ok firstly blah blah...

He's giving her good advice, that's what I think anway it's amazing how he's formed that many words in to one simple sentence. @somad ignore this person and be proud of who you are. you do not have to struggle alone.

ReputationRep:
    Be a rebel by.. er.. being good? Do what you want and show your parents that you are happy as you are, if you display joy that you are happy with your life then why should they think you taking it off would enable you to enjoy life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future.)
    Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't wear.
    true

not even a centuries-old holy book ..;

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    erm, yeah I have before, but surely everyone makes mistakes? I've repented and inshallah Allah forgives me. And I loved your explanation of the hijab! Yes women do get exploited, and yes the hijab does help to restrain ones actions, but I also respect the fact that some may disagree with the he concept of the hijab and that's perfectly fine, some people don't respect it when they wear it and make it totally meaningless, it's also very hard to wear I agree, there's many moments which I've wished to go out with my hair, but it's all for Allah at the end of day, thank you.
    you do realise that in Islam there is a (minority) opinion about the headscarf not being obligatory ?
    http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2012...-duty-scholar/
    http://www.irfi.org/articles/article...date_hijab.htm
    https://books.google.be/books?id=U0G...ir_esc=y&hl=nl

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because I believe that the point if the hijab is not just like modesty of the appearance but like having a modest personality as well. Like before I used to be a full on b**** and stuff, but not when I'm wearing it it like reminds me to like stop being or doing something bad
    OP, just take it off, it's an oppressive, nasty garment. And to the person I'm quoting, hijab aint some magical ting that makes your behaviour better are you kidding me? You can stop being a ***** even if you took your hijab off, unbelievable.

(Original post by Lychee627)
    Help this sister please I'd say carry on wearing it
    I do not believe that a mother will force her daughter to take the hijab off for the reasons that you have said there must be another reason

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 25, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.