Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffo132)
    Yes, 0.1 Mol NaOh would react, and the eqn would be
    (not sure if it's this exact acid but doesnt matter)
    HOOCCOOH + 2NaOH -> H2O + NaOOCCOONa
    so 2 mols of NaOH forms 1 mol of water,
    so 0.1mol NaOH forms 0.05 mol water
    0.05*6.02*10^23
    =3.01*10^22
    That equation is not balanced, should be 2H2O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottLangley)
    That equation is not balanced, should be 2H2O
    So it should, my bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haza296)
    how were you meant to answer the beta-carotene question without knowing how many carbon atoms were in the two rings?

im convinced it's impossible
    It is not impossible at all. A ring means there are two less hydrogens compared to a straight chain. Ring size is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    For a benzene ring you need Tin(Sn) and Conc. HCl
    i put followed by conc NaOH since old spec papers allowed it provided you mentioned its not done in one step

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumabbott99)
    Unsaturated simply means no double bonds, benzene rings are saturated
    No, it doesn't. It means that the compound has all of its valence electrons in single covalent bonds. In carbon's case, it has to be sp3 hybridised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student2034)
    But it was a dicarboxylic acid so 2 waters would have been produced so wouldn't the moles be 0.2 making 3.01x10^22 the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hydroxide was limiting reagent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    Hydroxide was limiting reagent
    It was the 6.02x10^22 wasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student2034)
    f***

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check the data sheet, the leftmost peak is HC-O, not HC-CO. Top one is correct for the correct identification!
    Most people i've seen have also said the Top one, who is saying bottom?

ReputationRep:
    It is not impossible at all. A ring means there are two less hydrogens compared to a straight chain. Ring size is irrelevant.
    We were told it has one branched chain, but there are branched chains on the benzene, so I've no idea what OCR wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I got 108 for that one
    (Original post by Asiangirl101)
    I got 108 or 180 cm^3 I can't remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.E.L)
    I got the top one as well.. pretty sure it was the three methyl groups closer to the C double O bond
    It's the bottom one. You will lose one mark only I expect if you put the top one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medhelp)
    I swear it said how would you purify and not how would you purify AND check the purity?
    it asks *you* to check the purity via % yield so hopefully not putting the melting point check should be ok
    Yes you had to put how to check purity. This question is basically from PAG 6.3

ReputationRep:
    was a diprotic acid with a monobasic base. therefore 1:2, so 0.1mol of NaOH reacts with 0.05 mol acid, and 1 mol of acid forms 1 mol of water, so 0.05mol water forms, which is 0.05*6.02*1023= 3.01*10^22
    No but it literally told you 0.1 moles NaOH reacts with 0.1 moles of acid. It was a diprotic acid but only one side reacted because it wasn't in excess. Therefore 0.1 mol water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StA200)
    It was the 6.02x10^22 wasn't it?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    How did your students find the paper? Easier than last week?

And there was this question on doing an equation with an alcohol (1 mark), if you've seen the paper, do you remember if it was unsaturated or a saturated alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamoni4)
    For the last NMR question, I've got a
    2,2-dimethylpropyl ethanoate
    It had 3 methyl groups due to a big singlet with relative peak area of 9

ReputationRep:
    It's the bottom one. You will lose one mark only I expect if you put the top one.
    Ah alright thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)
    Why is it AgNO3 to measure the rate of activity/reaction? I put KCl because to see which one reacts fastest you need a displacement reaction? Cl displaces both iodine and bromine and then you can look at the speed... oh gosh
    That does measure rate, that just tells you which one is most reactive. AgNO3 shows which precipitate forms the fastest. And as the C-halogen bond enthalpy decreases down the group its easier to break C-I than C-Cl and C-Br therefore the yellow precipitate forms faster than the white and cream precipitates.

ReputationRep:
    Phenol with ethanone joined together. for C NMR.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...2&d=1497870262

For this I think it's wrong because on this picture you have 8 carbon environments and you needed 6 because there were only 6 peaks so you needed to put OH where it would make 6 environments

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.