Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How hard is it to find 'the one'? Watch

It seems that a lot of people go from partner to partner because of not working out. It makes me wonder, how hard is it to find compatibility these days? Some are lucky, others aren't.

What's everyone's experiences with finding good relationships?

ReputationRep:
    I guess you just click with that person.

ReputationRep:
    I think it fell into the fires of Mount Doom in the last film so unless you want to be eaten alive by the molten fiery death that awaits you thennnnn it's pretty damn hard

I've met someone perfect dont think anyone can say no to him :lol:

ReputationRep:
    First of all, it is not an aim, if it happens, it happens.
    Most people tend to form new relationships and fail to keep the relationship going. Not because they lack experience, but, they fail to acknowledge that there is no such thing as "Mr or Ms Right" or "The One". They don't exist, so stop looking for one. Instead, learn to form the right relationship with your partner. Be kind, gentle, forgiving, humble and most important of all, tolerate with each other without the intention to change your partner. When one of the partners try to change another, that's when issues begin and quite frankly, that's when you know, you should leave.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a nightclub and ended up meeting someone who has completely changed my life.
    It happens randomly and it's the best thing - I've never found myself more compatible with another person.
    Live your life and be happy with yourself, and focus on you. Someone will come along when you least expect

ReputationRep:
    Thats a very hard question to answer. I met mine by accident, didn't realise he was the one for a very long time, but now know entirely that he is my happy ever after. I wanted a pirate cake for my 21st birthday (I just really like them 🙈 and thought what with it being a 'big' birthday...) and whilst looking in Tesco at birthday cakes, the security guard had spotted me and thought I looked attractive so wanted to say hello. We talked about random things, and I went on my way having not found a pirate cake. After that every time I went in we would say hello, which graduated to small talk, and then full on conversations. Before I knew it I was going to Tesco just to talk to him as he had become my best friend, we started going for coffee, and then he started coming to my place after work and we'd watch a film, eat and talk. Eventually he asked me on a date, and a few days later we realised we might as well officially call ourselves a couple as we essentially were one. Within a month he'd moved in and we were engaged. I've still not managed to find a wedding venue that I like or is suitable, but its been a few years and I love him more every day.

Long story short, finding the one isn't always hard, sometimes its realising they're the one that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It seems that a lot of people go from partner to partner because of not working out. It makes me wonder, how hard is it to find compatibility these days? Some are lucky, others aren't.

What's everyone's experiences with finding good relationships?
    A lot of people go from partner to partner because;

A) They go after people who are unsuitable, often resulting in...
    B) ...going after the wrong type of person again because they lack the ability to be introspective and identify why they made the mistake in the first place.
    C) Society's values when it comes to love / sex / relationships have changed drastically to the point where casual encounters are considered the norm despite the clear evidence in the development of less quality relationships and poor family conditions.

Finding love is hard for everyone. The difference is the period of time it takes for us to find it. Some may get lucky at 18, others at 52. Forming a good quality relationship takes a lot of time and effort which people seem unwilling to do in our fast-paced, selfish society. Everyone, especially the young, want things NOW.

My relationships haven't been particularly great. I spent a great deal of time with one girl who ultimately wasn't right for me and my patience, loyalty and commitment was "rewarded" with a rather painful (but educational) experience. Much of my experience comes from observation and supporting others.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like people give up on relationships too quickly. Like they break up for the most trivial reasons instead of looking for a way to solve the problem. I used to feel like such a weirdo because I've never really dated much and I noticed a lot of my friends were in and out of relationships. I met my boyfriend at work we've known each other for about 7 years and became good friends over the last 2 years. I didn't expect to meet anyone at work and at first I was so against it. A year later I can honestly say it was the best decision ever, I love him to bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've met someone perfect dont think anyone can say no to him :lol:
    That's really cute

ReputationRep:
    Well a guy who I've been a fan of/crushed on for years is the guy I've been dating for a while so all is well

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 19, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.