Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I hate my brother in law Watch

I realise this may sound silly but I genuinely hate my brother in law. Him and my sister have been together for 5 years, married for 3 years. At first I thought he was great but over time he started making snide and hurtful comments to me and they have only gotten worse. I have mentioned it to my mum and dad a few times but they have just brushed it off.

I feel now as though I have finally reached breaking point. At the weekend we had a house warming party and we invited my sister and brother in law and some of their friends including his two best men. During the night I got a text from my brother in law and it was a picture of him and his two mates in my bed. When I looked over the whole group of them started laughing at me, there was probably about 8 of them and it made me feel really crap about myself. I know it was a house warming party and I have no problem with people going in my room to have a look around but I feel as though a line has been crossed by them getting in my bed and publicly mocking me about it.

I just feel as though this has gone on for ages now and being honest I feel as though it has started to affect my mental well being as I feel like I am being bullied. I have spoke to my mum and dad about it and they just brushed it off and I cant speak to my sister or him about is as they are the type of people who wont admit when they are in the wrong. I feel as though I have no one else to talk to and that's why I've come here, hopefully someone can help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I realise this may sound silly but I genuinely hate my brother in law. Him and my sister have been together for 5 years, married for 3 years. At first I thought he was great but over time he started making snide and hurtful comments to me and they have only gotten worse. I have mentioned it to my mum and dad a few times but they have just brushed it off.

I feel now as though I have finally reached breaking point. At the weekend we had a house warming party and we invited my sister and brother in law and some of their friends including his two best men. During the night I got a text from my brother in law and it was a picture of him and his two mates in my bed. When I looked over the whole group of them started laughing at me, there was probably about 8 of them and it made me feel really crap about myself. I know it was a house warming party and I have no problem with people going in my room to have a look around but I feel as though a line has been crossed by them getting in my bed and publicly mocking me about it.

I just feel as though this has gone on for ages now and being honest I feel as though it has started to affect my mental well being as I feel like I am being bullied. I have spoke to my mum and dad about it and they just brushed it off and I cant speak to my sister or him about is as they are the type of people who wont admit when they are in the wrong. I feel as though I have no one else to talk to and that's why I've come here, hopefully someone can help me.
    Hmm, tough call. I don't know what you should do, maybe call some sort of RSPCC or maybe you should go dramatic and start crying or something.
    Basically, make the situation look much worse than it really is, and you'll get much more sympathy. Works every time

Wishing you all the best!

(Original post by ClearSky)
    Hmm, tough call. I don't know what you should do, maybe call some sort of RSPCC or maybe you should go dramatic and start crying or something.
    Basically, make the situation look much worse than it really is, and you'll get much more sympathy. Works every time

Wishing you all the best!
    You say about making the situation look much worse than it really is but it already is really bad, even to the point where I have shown people I am physically upset but it gets me nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same issue. It sucks.

ReputationRep:
    go talk to your sister about it and if she doesn't listen then tell her you'll never speak to her again lol

ReputationRep:
    Dude wtf. Man up and put this ***** ass dude in is place. Have some pride, don't sit there and let yourself get pissed on.

ReputationRep:
    its clearly your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    go talk to your sister about it and if she doesn't listen then tell her you'll never speak to her again lol
    dont do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarthRoar)
    Dude wtf. Man up and put this ***** ass dude in is place. Have some pride, don't sit there and let yourself get pissed on.
    he might just fight back again and then this whole thing becomes constant fighting back and forth tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Triga)
    dont do that
    but why not? if the sister cares about OP then she will do something about it

ReputationRep:
    Sit your sister down and explain to her your situation, and how hurt you feel. If she doesn't do anything about it, confront your brother in law, and explain to him that you don't find this funny and it isn't a joke. Stand up for yourself, and be strong.

All the best

(Original post by SmileyChap)
    Sit your sister down and explain to her your situation, and how hurt you feel. If she doesn't do anything about it, confront your brother in law, and explain to him that you don't find this funny and it isn't a joke. Stand up for yourself, and be strong.

All the best
    I have done both of them things in the past and they just can't see it from my point of view and don't think anything wrong is happening.

ReputationRep:
    I have done both of them things in the past and they just can't see it from my point of view and don't think anything wrong is happening.
    Would you mind me asking how old you are?

ReputationRep:
    There is not a lot you can do. They are married. They come as a pair. Your sister will rightfully side with her husband and your parents will not want to damage their relationship with their other daughter.

Your options are put up with him or distance yourself from your sister.

Why are you inviting his mates over if you don't like him?

(Original post by SmileyChap)
    Would you mind me asking how old you are?
    I'm 18 he's 31

(Original post by Sternumator)
    There is not a lot you can do. They are married. They come as a pair. Your sister will rightfully side with her husband and your parents will not want to damage their relationship with their other daughter.

I didn't invite them it was my mum and dad who did.

ReputationRep:
    You say about making the situation look much worse than it really is but it already is really bad, even to the point where I have shown people I am physically upset but it gets me nowhere.
    Oh dear, I guess it works better on my family then... sorry about that 🙈

ReputationRep:

Its is not silly! I read ur thread and I am so disgusted with ur brother in laws behaviour! I am soo scared of having a mean brother in law!
    Ur parents should be understanding! Why r they brushing it off, he is bullying u!
    How old r u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)

Oh for goodness sake! She didnt invite him, her parents did!
    Can't u at least understand?

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to put some respect on your name

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 20, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.