Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I don't want this to get too long, so I'm trying to keep it brief.

I have started a degree in 2013, finished the 1st year but dropped out due to personal reasons shortly before finishing the 2nd year.

I have since moved and in a better place now, so hoping to finish my degree.
    In March this year I received an unconditional offer of a Uni which accepted my previous credits. Which means I would start at the beginning of their 2nd year this summer.

After accepting my offer I spoke to Student finance, but was told I could not get finance for the two years I would need to finish.
    When I spoke to the programme director at uni about this he told me it shouldn't be a problem to get finance due to the gift year and that he had plenty students who took that extra year in the past.

I applied anyway and sent all my evidence in in April, but still haven't heard back.

I just want to know whether I can give up my dream of finishing my degree or is there reason to keep hoping?

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDiveney)
    Hello,

I don't want this to get too long, so I'm trying to keep it brief.

I have started a degree in 2013, finished the 1st year but dropped out due to personal reasons shortly before finishing the 2nd year.

I have since moved and in a better place now, so hoping to finish my degree.
    In March this year I received an unconditional offer of a Uni which accepted my previous credits. Which means I would start at the beginning of their 2nd year this summer.

After accepting my offer I spoke to Student finance, but was told I could not get finance for the two years I would need to finish.
    When I spoke to the programme director at uni about this he told me it shouldn't be a problem to get finance due to the gift year and that he had plenty students who took that extra year in the past.

I applied anyway and sent all my evidence in in April, but still haven't heard back.

I just want to know whether I can give up my dream of finishing my degree or is there reason to keep hoping?

Thank you!
    If you didn't pass the second year and can give them medical evidence you should be able to get the two years you need. I d call them now and ask to speak to someone higher if you get no luck

ReputationRep:
    Called them yesterday...they transferred it to a different department and apparently it should take 14 days for me to hear back now!

I didn't drop out because of illness so dont have medicsl evidence. I broke down due to the stressful and overwhelming situation I found myself in leading up to exams.
    To sum up in short: husband deployed abroad w. Army, 2 children, broken car taken off road for some time, 6 hour round trip to commute to uni on the bus/train due to not being able to drive the car, missed all the important end of term lectures and presentations I was supposed to get marks for. The resits were right in the middle of my research trip to South Africa, which I couldn't cancel.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi DDiveney,

Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry about the situation. I appreciate you were told that you will hear back in fourteen working days and this is quite a wait. We are at the peak of processing evidence. Sorry about the wait. I would advise you to keep an eye on your online account for any updates/correspondence on https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login in the meanwhile.

Thank you.

Kruti

ReputationRep:
    Thank you...I know I come across really impatient and i appreciate all the hard work Student Finance are doing right now, processing so many applications.
    Just feeling a little frustrated at the moment because I don't know what's going to happen come September...
    Thank you again for your reply!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.